Gen2 to Gen3 Top-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen2 to Gen3 Top-End

This is an article that we have had on here for quite some time, and is probably the original 3x00 hybrid write-up. It needs some updating, so I would like to get peoples' input on it. If you know of other issues, or can provide more explanation of certain areas, post it here. Also, I would like to add images to the write-up as well. I know there are some images scattered around 60V6.com that will work well on different areas, but the more images to choose from, the better.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

id like to know if the pushrod ends need to be different since 3x00's are roller setups (i believe) & the gen 2's arent-does this mean the pushrod end that makes contact with the lifters needs to be roller or is the 3x00 roller part just for the cam & pushrod ends that make contact with the cam in the 3x00's?

Comment

What????? Read how pushrod engines work and that will answer your question :P

The length is the only thing to worry about.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

u need to take it easy-i know perfectly well how they work but ive never worked on something with roller-anything-so dont insult what i do know just because i dont know as much as you, its pretty shitty that youll go out of your way to post something nasty towards me without even attempting to understand what i was asking.

what i was asking is arent the pushrod ends different due to the fact that the 3x00 engines have roller components-whereas the older engines do not-wouldnt this mean that the pushrod ends that have to make contact with the 3x00 lifters need to be different due to the roller aspect?
        Last edited by no_doz; 06-09-2009, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by no_doz View Post
          what i was asking is arent the pushrod ends different due to the fact that the 3x00 engines have roller components-whereas the older engines do not-wouldnt this mean that the pushrod ends that have to make contact with the 3x00 lifters need to be different due to the roller aspect?
          No. I will try to find pics to explain...
          -Brad-
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by no_doz View Post
            u need to take it easy-i know perfectly well how they work but ive never worked on something with roller-anything-so dont insult what i do know just because i dont know as much as you, its pretty shitty that youll go out of your way to post something nasty towards me without even attempting to understand what i was asking.

If your post had even the illusion of making sense, then you wouldn't have this problem.

As for a short answer to your question, NO. Pushrods have always had either a ball or cup end. Roller anything, makes no difference.
            Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Ok, here we go...

3x00 roller rockers and pushrods

3x00 roller lifters

Pushrod sits in the end (pocket) of the lifter. Roller is on the cam end. Pushrod sits in the end (pocket) of the rocker as well. Stock 3x00 roller rockers are just roller fulcrum. If they were full roller, then they would have a roller tip on them as well, but that is on the valve/spring end of the rocker. Pushrod end is still a pocket.

Full roller rocker - notice pushrod pocket and roller tip:
              -Brad-
              sigpic

Comment

now thats what im talkin about!! ive some full-roller components before & thought that the 3x00's were full roller, also my apologies i coulda sworn the roller ends ive seen were on the ends of the pushrods but now seeing the lifters i remember that they are not. great info about the 3x00 equipment & you answered my question very well as always.

i thank you my good sir

Comment

Working...
                X