3100 vin j compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3100 vin j compatibility

i've got a 2000 malibu vin j.....the motor is the same from 2000-2002. i've found a motor from a 2003 century....which is supposed to be 03 malibu, 03-05 century, grand prix, and lumina.....does anyone know what the difference is from the 02-03 swap? i know the vin m can be used if you change the upper and lower intake, oil sending unit, knock sensor and the cam sensor...everything else is supposed to be the same, but i'm not sure what they changed in 03

3100 vin j compatibility

i've looked up injectors, cam and crank sensors, oil sending unit, knock sensors, egr valves, coolant sensor, and rear exhaust manifold....the only difference i'm seeing so far is cam sensor....easy swap from the bad motor

Comment

Cam sensor is different, but still operates the same and plugs in the same, so not really required to be messed with. The other difference I can think of would be the rocker studs going from 10mm to 8mm.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

so it sounds like is should be drop in, plug and drive

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. The AC boss on the oil pan may not line up on the 05 ones or something like that, but I would think you could swap pans if that was an issue...
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

engine in and running

engine is in and running....had to change the front timing cover....$7-$8 for the gasket set that comes with the new front main seal and had to change the cam sensor....i broke the one in the original engine trying to ease it out...so $35 for that....125 for the 03 buick century motor, so for under 200 with oil and antifreeze included...i got the car up and running......the only other thing thats different is that the accessories on the buick come off the back nipple of the intake by the alternator and the malibu runs off the front corner by the throttle body....just switched the location of the vacuum cap...and the water neck on the malibu has the hose for the overflow tank...and teh buick just had the bleeder..easy change over....at no cost...
            the fuel lines are different, but i unbolted them at the fuel rail for removal rather than squeezing under the brake booster to undo the quick releases.....ha ha...quick release my ass..... and the final difference was the waterlines for the heater core....i just switched the tube out of the lower intake....slips in an out.....just cleaned up the o-ring before installing...and switched the pipe that goes from the water pump to around the throttle body 2nipples and to the heater core hose...changed that metal tube over....all that was free switch over..... i left the dogbone motor mount by the exhaust crossover...why remove the crossover pipe to change that when it still functions to lift the engine.

Comment

Yup just swap over what you need. If the timing cover had an extra stud in the way of your accessories, you could hack it off with a hack-saw...

Did you replace any orings to stuff you took off? Like the coolant pipes? Best to check for leaks if you didn't. That is one cheap engine swap!!! I'd still replace the LIM gaskets with metal ones if you plan to keep the car so it doesn't fail and leak into the oil....
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

i just cleaned all the o-rings and reinstalled....lower intake look to be the original....but i didn't change them....i bought the car to swap engines....get it running and resell it cheap....its a 2000 malibu and i listed it for 1200 firm

Comment

LOL, well mission accomplished! $200 bucks was a cheap fix for a new motor!!
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                  X