Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro 3400

Hey,
    So i've been building my 3400 sfi bottom up and its almost done now. It was primairly a turbo build for a fiero although it is tough to find a 87-88gt arround my area and i was looking arround and was wondering wether it is just as possible to swap a 3400 into either the 90year 2.8l camaro or the 1993-.... 3.4/3.8l camaros. I do understand that i would have to do tuning and minor wiring jsut like the fiero if it is even possible...?

Yes it is. Driver_10 did exactly that and is now moving on to the 3500 in the same car (94 Camaro).

You will need a tubular subframe and to work out the details of how you want to handle the starter being on the wrong side. He got lucky and found a bellhousing for his Tremmec TKO with a all the correct patterns...

You will also need custom motor mount(s) along with modifying the oil filter housing etc.

Driver gave me his old 3400/3.4 tubular k member mount and can re-produce it if you need.

Welcome to the site by the way
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 01-04-2010, 10:29 PM.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

alright thanks alot

Comment

any clue what make and model he got that bellhousing off of?

Comment

Do a search on here for RWD bellhousing, or dual pocket bellhousing, and something will come up.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I am looking into swapping a 3400 into a 3rd-Gen F-body.

From what I have read, I need modified bell housing, proper mounts, and some other things (plugs for the not used cam and crank sensor).

Would it be worthwhile to swap the entire electrical system for the engine to accommodate these sensors?

I have seen places that sell the modified bell housing for this application, but I do not see anything on the motor mounts, ideas/suggestions?

Comment

Are you planning on running the stock ECM, or going to something different? Remember, the only sensors you need to hook up to the engine are the ones required by the ECM. So by swapping the entire engine electrical system, you wouldn't really be gaining anything, and it would probably end up being more work (extending wires is one thing that comes to mind).

For mounts, custom would probably be the easiest. Check out Dave's swap : http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...Camaro-Project
              -Brad-
              sigpic

Comment

Mars put a stock 3400 into a 3rd gen, here is his thread: http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/also...t-t112374.html

He and I did things a little differently but his runs and mine is collecting dust.. both threads have a ton of info in them though.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                  He and I did things a little differently but his runs and mine is collecting dust..
                  Man, if yours is collecting dust, I'd hate to try to classify mine...
                  -Brad-
                  sigpic

Comment

lol. dust is 3' thick on mine hahahahahahahaha.

Seriously. I sold my hybrid motor and plan on modifying oil pans and making either mount adapters or new mounts (with some flex in them) for the 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies. Just need more hours in the the day so all these things can get done lol.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                      Mars put a stock 3400 into a 3rd gen, here is his thread: http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/also...t-t112374.html

He and I did things a little differently but his runs and mine is collecting dust.. both threads have a ton of info in them though.
                      Thanks for that link! I will be studying these pictures very closely!

@ForcedFirebird, I've sent you a PM already...but when you get closer to having mounts made up/priced, give me a holler!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        lol. dust is 3' thick on mine hahahahahahahaha.

Seriously. I sold my hybrid motor and plan on modifying oil pans and making either mount adapters or new mounts (with some flex in them) for the 3rd and 4th gen f-bodies. Just need more hours in the the day so all these things can get done lol.
                        Is my pan going to be the guinnea pig for all the rest? And why no mounts for Mustangs? Don't think they'll sell?? ROFL!!
                        -Brad-
                        sigpic

Comment

I contacted Spohn to see if they have anything that would work with their K-Member to mount a FWD engine to it like Dave did.

Dave, do you have any dimensions of the mounts you made? I'm looking at getting some made up (poly) for a possible go at this with Spohn's K-Member.

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, it was a quick fab job. I made a pair of plates to bolt to the block, then 2 to bolt to the K member pads and got the engine right where i wanted it. I scribed the angles and just cut some 2" square tubing and welded them in. Took like 45 minutes or so.

the drivers side pretty much lines up with the SBC pad but the passenger side is offset to the back a little.
                            Past Builds;
                            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                            Current Project;
                            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I may of found a third gen Camaro for next to nothing (trading some old audio equipment).

Comment

Working...
                              X