2.8 1st gen top end swap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 1st gen top end swap??

Ok guys, I have a couple of questions that you could probably help me answer. But first, let me begin by providing some background of the engine and the reason of this thread.

About two weeks ago, I started a scheduled rebuild of my 2.8 engine that was installed in my Fiero. What I had in mind was an engine refresh. Basically a block cleaning, honing, seals, new cam, main and rod bearings. Replace rod studs with ARP; clean the forged pistons, rods and crank. Check balance of rotating assy. Install new custom cam. Clean the heads, new valves, guides, seals, beehive springs, etc. Well you get the picture, basically a full refresh. This was all going to be done as preparation for the turbo setup, which I have all the parts as well.

Unfortunately, my machinist called last week telling me one of the heads is cracked at the exhaust valve seat and he said is not repairable. This put my buildup on hold, because I don’t have a spare iron head and I’ve been searching for a good pair for almost a week now without positive results.

My second option is to do a head swap to aluminum. I already have a pair of 03+ 3400 heads (large intake valve) laying around. So that’s a first step. However I have a bunch of questions. For example:
    - Does the 3500 LIM fit the 3400 heads? I want to use the 3500 UIM with a ’96 DOHC TB I have that is already modified for the Fiero Throttle cable. This is currently installed in a Trueleo intake.
    - Does the TCE crank trigger works on gen 1 block?
    - What would be the length of the pushrods required to run with Flat tappets?
    - Can anyone provide me with pushrod guides for the AL heads?
    - Does anyone has or knows where can I get off-the-shelf forged slugs for a 2.8 2nd gen? If I use these with the iron head gaskets I should be around 8.9 static CR. Still good for turbo.
    - Does the 3400 fuel rail fits the 3500 LIM? I need a return line for the RR-FPR

I know some of you might say “ditch the gen 1 block” but there’s too much put into it to throw it away. For example the new custom cam, lifters, new gaskets, water pump, etc. I’m already aware that I need to ditch some of the parts like the Trueleo intake, WCF long tube headers (might hold on to them by modifying them) forged flat top slugs, ported LIM, beehive spring retainers and locks (might send them back to Summit for an exchange to 8mm), MSD 6A ignition and the MSD GM blaster coil for HEI.

I will greatly appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to getting all the right parts to build a strong engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by yeyo_racing; 04-14-2010, 10:50 PM.

I'm curious, why would he say the head was not repairable? Yes, even iron heads can be repaired. It just takes somebody who has the knowledge and experience to do it. Charlies Cylinder Head Service in Alabama will repair any head. I am sure there are other machine shops out there with somebody older than thirty working in them that know how to repair cracked heads.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Well, I don't know if it can be repaired or not. I did see it and is completely cracked at one of the exhaust valve seats and told me HE cannot repair it. I could try to find a shop that can repair it, but then again how good would they be for a boosted application? Will they hold 14 psi or more? I don't know and I don't want to find out.

I can keep on trying to find a good pair of Iron Heads with large valves. But think about it, let's say the price for a pair of heads is $100 add to that the porting and polishing job aound $300 and it puts me near to what it would cost me adapting these Aluminum heads. Also, I could sell the Trueleo UIM, ported LIM, modified fuel rail, forged pistons with new moly rings, MSD stuff, Comp Cams pushrods and gain some $$$ to finalize the setup really good and break even.

BTW, I found the solution for the crank trigger. http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/103834.html

Comment

This is just one example (I'm not sure if you're using the '88 heads or not), but all the same you should be able to find a fresh head or at the very least a good casting to rework.

http://www.rebuiltengines.biz/pontia...n-fj3272l.html . . . . and that is rebuilt ready to go with a warranty.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

That price is awesome for a long block. One thing though. Do they ship to Puerto Rico? Probably can, but it will cost me an arm and a leg.

Comment

Working...
          X