3500 in a P'up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 in a P'up

OK, guys, I picked up a 3500 complete engine from an '04 Malibu (per Dave). Has 'everything', all accesories (A/C, alt, ps, starter), engine wiring harness, ECU, exh. manifolds. This unit has ETC - NAH! What TB uses throttle cable? I have a 99' Rodeo that does and is a Delco unit (?) with OBDII ECU. What do you all recommend?
    Looks like I can use my old exh. manifolds on the new heads, there are bosses for O2 sensors and a small boss for EGR pipe on both sides.
    I got a Chilton's for the 04' Malibu; is there something better?
    Thanks to all for your help thus far.
    Brian

im pretty sure the isuzu tb will bolt to the 3500 uim as well. wen i had my 99 rodeo i tryed the tb on the uim for my 3500cav if fit but didnt end up[ usin it.

Comment

mounts will be custom tho

Comment

i dunno if id want to run the OBD2 setup. im not sure how tunalble it is, or how much of a pain it would be to retofit it.

im watching this one, though. ive got my eye on an abandond track T project here in town.

Comment

Not to get off topic but is it one of the Track "T"s from Speedway? If so, I bet it is light and would fly with a 3500. I have a customer who is doing a 3500 in a MG Midget... around 1600#. It should kick ass.
          MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
          '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
          http://www.tcemotorsports.com
          http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

yup. speedway by the looks of it.

and a midget should fly with a 3500. granted, so should an s10. ive git mine down to 2950 with all accessories, full tank of gas, big stereo, and driver.

Comment

It's up to you weather or not to run OBD2 on the engine, There is a lot more to the OBD2 stuff that you'll have to figure out.

a computer and harness from a 91-94 Cavalier (OBD1) will run that engine great with a tuned chip (which i'll probably start selling soon).

I'd take off the timing cover and the accessory brackets and install the stuff from your old engine. I guess there is a coolant hole that needs to be plugged but you'll see that when you get to it. Some brackets might have to be re-drilled as well.

To run it as RWD you'll need to take off the upper and lower intakes and flip them around. Make sure to replace the gaskets, Felpro makes a metal set that should out-last the engine.

Other things to pick up would be a fuel rail from any 3100 or 3400 engine and a set of fuel lines that you can join to yours. A set of injectors from a 3.4 DOHC engine is a good match for the 3500, you can usually get them for fairly cheap at the yards (or free if you have deep pockets, lol)

What fuel pressure does your stock engine run on? you may need to swap fuel pumps as well...
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

the fuel pump in an s10 will not run MPFI. an L98 corvette pump bolts right in, and should.

the lumina harness is an easy one to adapt to our trucks. what year is your S10? ive built one, and should be able to build more for the swaps.

also, superdave. are you in the chip selling buisness?

Comment

New day, new info.
                  Began checking things out - found that the 3500 water pump casting has a crack in it so I'll go with Dave's suggestion of using the original timing cover/water pump arrangement with adapted brackets. I believe my TBI pump (in tank) is just 15 psi. My thought is to get a 30 PSI inline pump to get the needed 45 psi. I did rotate the upper intake - no problem but I gather from you that both upper and lower need to be rotated. Is there a reason the fuel rails on the 3500 can't be used? I was looking at them tonight - only question is about that swivel joint in the fuel line that has a retaining clip around it. Is that a seperable connector?
                  Brian

Comment

the 3500 rail cant be used because it is returnless. im confused, is this goin in a rodeo or s10?

Comment

Originally posted by gar70614 View Post
                      the 3500 rail cant be used because it is returnless. im confused, is this goin in a rodeo or s10?
                      Neither, it is an Isuzu P'up which had a 3.1 but I upgraded to the HT3400. You are correct, the TBI uses a return. So, if I need to get harness and computer from a '91-'94 Beretta, (per Dave) would it have the right fuel rails AND would have a cabled TB (not ETC)?
                      Thanks,
                      Brian

Comment

I can't guarantee anything on the Beretta harness although it will probably work ok, beretta would be 91-93, cavalier would be 91-94 for OBD1.

The cheapest route to go for a proper TB is to get one of the adapters from wot-tech http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/3500-pl...r/prod_30.html

and use a stock TB from a 3400 (56mm). You'll need to find a long throttle cable or get creative with a cable bracket to use your stock cable.

any 3100 or 3400 will have the right fuel rail, i can post a pic of one if you need it.
                        Past Builds;
                        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                        Current Project;
                        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                          I can't guarantee anything on the Beretta harness although it will probably work ok, beretta would be 91-93, cavalier would be 91-94 for OBD1.

The cheapest route to go for a proper TB is to get one of the adapters from wot-tech http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/3500-pl...r/prod_30.html

and use a stock TB from a 3400 (56mm). You'll need to find a long throttle cable or get creative with a cable bracket to use your stock cable.

any 3100 or 3400 will have the right fuel rail, i can post a pic of one if you need it.
                          Hi, Dave,
                          Would the Cavalier have the right TB and fuel rail? I'm ordering the harness and PCU today and I imagine I can get the whole unit.
                          What brand of cam do you recommend? Crane does not have one for the 3500/LX9.
                          How about headers?
                          Tried to order intake gasket set from WOT but after entering PayPal info, it kicked me back to the purchase page. We'll see how that works out.
                          Thanks for the help.
                          Brian

Comment

Get a cam from Ben.

As for the TB, you can use the TB and intake mani form a late 3100 or 3400.
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

And who might Ben be?

Comment

Working...
                              X