3500 in malibu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mickaz View Post
    thats not the thing that got me worried. what i didnt wanted was snow that got stuck between the crank trigger and the wheel, giving a wrong signal to the ecm and having rough start or other problems.
    With the small gap that I saw on the setup Ben has on his stand fitted to a 3500 for the MGB, the gap is too small for snow to get stuck in with the crank pully spinning. That's just my opinion though, FWIW. Besides, it uses a magnet to trigger, so anything but something ferrous shouldn't block the magnetic field enough to block it from triggering. Also splash guards should help keep snow out of there.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Snow isn't magnetic.

The Pontiac G6's came with an F40 6 speed manual behind the 3500.

Comment

really? like the same 3500 that everyone seems to swap in their cars (sounds like a dumb question but some of these engines have different versions)
        2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

Comment

No, 3500's shouldn't have different versions. They were only produced for how long? Then again... the LQ1 had 3 different versions (sort of) over the coarse of 91-97...
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

according to car-part.com .. they did have a 3500 in the g6 and they only have the 6spd available from 2005-2007 and it was only on the 3.9L engines. so would a tranny from the 3.9L bolt to the 3.5L?

Comment

Since they are both 60v6's, yes.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

but my 3.1 is a 60*v6 and those trannies wont bolt up to mine. or is the 3.5-3.9 a whole different v6 class?

Comment

Yes it's the same bolt pattern. I wasn't sure if it was the 3500 or 3900 that came with the six speed it wasn't terribly specific on wikipedia. It's the same 6 speed that is used in the swap on grandamgt.com in that link in your transmission thread.

Yes there are two 3500's VVT and non VVT. The non VVT LX9 is the engine based on the 3X00 and has a large number of interchangeable parts with the older engines.

I'm not sure if the forum still defaults at cutting off threads over X days old, but i would suggest going back to the beginning and reading everything you can on the pushrod motors. If it doesn't show old threads you can go in the settings on your profile and change it to show all threads. When I first started reading here it looked like the site had just been redone and had little information because it defaulted cutting off treads over 30 days old. Took me a couple weeks to realize threads were disappearing and ask what the deal was. Now, I realize searches tend to yield everything except what you are looking for, however . . .

Originally posted by Rootie524 View Post
                  yes im sure this is like the 20th identical thread that someone else has started already..but its much easier to just ask my questions in a new one..
                  It really isn't easier. You are looking for a shortcut. If you extract only the information you want there will be a wealth of information you are missing out on. You will be doing yourself injustice and greatly increase your chances of spending your hard work and money building a paperweight. I have read pretty much every thread in the 3 pushrod forums, transmission and suspension forums and I still have quite a lot to learn. But going to the beginning and reading how so things unfolded gave me a much better perspective of where we are at with these motors and where we are heading. The guru's here have an amazing wealth of knowledge and as such should be relied on for their vast knowledge. At least showing the initiative and trying first will get a much warmer response from people here or just about anywhere else. If you need to find out the difference between the 3400 and 3500, start with the 3500 swap sticky. I know it is long and a bit confusing but there is a good deal of info there. Not all changes were for increasing HP, as that wasn't GM's only concern.

Comment

Crap. I forgot about 3500 VVT and non VVT...

I agree with Socrus. There's also a search button if you think you are asking something that's been asked already but don't want to invest the time into reading thousands and thousands of threads, too.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

thats the only reason i started this thread. i understand i can search..and i do. and i read and i learn. but sometimes the answers to my questions either don't pop out, or they do but they arent 100% clear to me. so i start a thread to get a direct answer. trust me. i wouldnt do a engine/tranny swap with only info from one thread. im gonna read my ass off and find other people that have done it and look into the steps they took, etc.

Comment

Transmissions are a different animal than engines. For instance, The old 4T65-E out of a 2000 Venture on the floor in my garage is identical to the one behind the (forgive me for mentioning this) L36 3800 I just replaced this week. Even the toque converters have the same stall and codes written on them. There has been a 6 speed F40 swap in a W body, and as I recall it needed a notch in the frame for it to fit. Different body cars and different years of build will change what fits and it takes either a lot of research or footing the cash to forge ahead in uncharted waters.

Now to get back on topic, there are many internal and external differences between the LX9 and earlier 3X00's. The connecting rods are different and have a larger bearing diameter, to fit a crank with larger connecting rod pins. The heads of the bolts on these larger connecting rods protrude enough where they had to clearance the block and oil pan for it. The crank can come in the cast or forged variety. The oil pan has said clearancing and one bolt changed from the older 3X00's. There is an oil squirter on the rear two cylinders. The bolt bosses for the top of the passenger side dog bone mount are longer. An older 3X00 mount can be rather easily modified for this. On the engine to transmission bracket two of the four bolt holes moved. This effects some transmissions (4T60 non electronic trans is one I have seen first hand) whereas the 4T65-E in the minivans uses the bosses that didn't move. There is a bolt boss in the oil pan for the minivan 4T65-E application that was changed. The bottom A/C bolt boss was also moved. That's just off the top of my head. Hope that gives you a head start in understanding the 3500 and if it is right for you.

Comment

Another thing to justify doing a 3500 swap is the cost of head gaskets and intake gaskets to put the 3500 top end on your 3400. The gaskets alone cost about as much as you'll spend on the crank trigger and adaptors
                          95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

do the 3400 forged pistons on wot tech fit the 3500? cuz in the 3500 section is doesnt show pistons and i want high compression. so a 3500 might work for me if i can get HC pistons for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X