Another 3.4 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 3.4 swap

So i've done some reading and it seems i can swap a 3.4 in my 96 grand am (originally a 3.1) with only swapping a coolant pipe? anything else? and does it matter what the donor vehicle is? Also, will i have any problems with the stock 1996 3.1 computer controlling everything? will it compensate for the larger bore? Anybody have problems emissions wise? I know in new york a state inspection includes a full OBD II scan. Any idea why the stock 3.1 has a horrible rod knock? Anything common to fail? i willtear it down once i have the swap done to see what happened..

THANKS!!

yeah its basicly bolt on. since you have a 3100 and not a 3.1. look at your 3100 ,if something is different on the 3400 ,swap it over. the computer can compensate fior the larger bore but to some point. you will gain a lot of power from tuning. emission wise the 3400 is the same as the 3100.

rod knock on a 3100? If you do have a rod knock, its because maintenance was not done right. the only prob I can think of is a LIMG or a cold lifter tick.
    Mike 60degree addict.
    Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
    sigpic
    65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

awesome, thanks for the info. i planned to start on it today, but unfortunatly i just lost my job and no longer have access to a shop. hopefully i will be able to swap that situation around soon

Comment

You really don't need a shop, just pull the engine out from the top... If you need a engine hoist, you most likely can rent one from a equipment rental outfit.

If you haven't read the guide (3x00swap.com), I recommend you do so to learn what pieces you need to keep / swap. There will be marginal differences since it was primarily written for 1995 and older cars, but almost all of what's covered will be the same.
        1995 Grand Am GT
        3400 V6 / 4T60-E / Engine Swap
        3400 Engine Swap Guide Version 2.5 is Available!
        www.3400swap.com

Comment

Working...
        X