2001 3.4 grand am gt into a 1999 grand am se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 3.4 grand am gt into a 1999 grand am se

Hi, I am new to this site, and looking for an answer to my problem. I did am engine swap from a 2001 3.4 grand am gt into a 1999 grand am se. I swapped the computer from the 01 along with the engine, ignition with key, and fuel rail harness. Everything seems to working, turns over, fuel pump works, all lights, but I have no spark. So my question is, do I need to swap the bcm as well because isn't this where it stores the transponder code to signal starting, or is this some other type of antitheft issue? My personal feeling on this is antitheft problem because the light blinks on and off steadily on the dash. Both motors ran before I did the swap. What did i do wrong or am I forgetting? Trying to save a trip to GM dealership. Thank you for any insight on this problem. Regards, Bruce

First off, welcome!

Secondly, why did you swap the computer and ignition key over? It would have worked just fine with the old computer. If its a security thing, I want to say that it will still have spark for a few seconds. And acutally, I think the security feature deals with fuel, not spark. ??? I would check all your connections to the ICM (mainly the 3x crank sensor), as that will cause a no-spark condition.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

the BCM is supposed to store the correct key code, which sends a "password correct" signal to the PCM, which allows the injectors to run for more than ~2 seconds at a time.

so it certainly wouldn't hurt to swap it as well.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

actually, this may help you a bit, if you haven't done it already.
        Attached Files
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks for the replys! I figured I was doing more than I needed too. I did a engine swap in my 95 monte carlo and never swapped anything but the motor and everything works great. This problem is with my friends car who I helped with the swap. He was told to swap out the computer and ign by some eng tech friend of his, so he did. I myself also told him I didnt think we needed to do that, but i couldnt change his mind. So here I am I will double check the connections to the icm and crank sensor. Plus I am also going to swap the bcm and see what happens. Thanks again!

Comment

a 95 MC doesn't use a BCM

all of the security stuff was in a VATS module.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I have tried something similar to this but will give this a try after i swap the bcm

Comment

You are exactly right on that one robert! I just finished putting in a remote start in my MC and had to do the resister bybass. I love my MC

Comment

There are only a few things that can be wrong for it to not make a spark. Power, ground and a clean signal from the CPS is all that's required for the ICM to create spark. The 6 pin connector on the ICM can even be unplugged and the coils will still fire.
                  MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                  '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                  http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                  http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Working...
                  X