Anybody 3900 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody 3900 swap?

Ok so i have looked around and can't find what i'm looking for. I was wondering if anybody has put a 3900 into a 95-05 cavalier yet? If so can someone link me to it please thanks.

no. it has been talked about on j-body and it was determined the motor is to long and would hit the frame rails. anything is possible but with a big enough wallet but it would be a tight squeeze no mattwer wat. my 3500 non vvt like all v6 swaps r tight width wise.

Comment

I do like the idea of a v6 cavie. how much bigger is the 3900 compared to the 3400?

Comment

i helped swap an LX9 into a Sunfire and it's no different clearance-wise than a late 90's N-body with a v6. matter of fact we used that mount and 00+ getrag trans and mounts and it bolts in like it's supposed to be there. i can't say for sure but i doubt the block is any longer on a 3900 than on any of the GenIII motors. the only thing that sticks out any further is the cam phaser and it's only by < 1/2". if you can figure out a way to mount it to the passenger frame rail i don't think you'd have any problems anywhere else.

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
        Cammed 3500 --> ???
        1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

^^^^ i do like this! can you post some pics of it for me? and as for the sunfire what year was it?

Comment

it's a 97 SE, 2.2/isuzu 5 speed car. We swapped in a cammed and ported 06 LX9 with an 01 getrag. had to weld in a new rear trans mount bracket and modify the front, but the engine mount, we just took the 2.2L shell and put a 97 grand am mount and bracket in it, and used the grand am engine "y" bracket and belt routing. direct bolt in with the LX9, not so sure about an LZ9 though. i'll try to get some pics from him.

Cammed 3500 --> ???
            1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

Answered my own question.
              Last edited by Pretty Boy; 09-27-2010, 06:48 PM.

Comment

but u put in a lx9 like i did. hes talking about a lz motor. the vvt motors r bigger

Comment

if your thinkin about givin it a shot the Buick Lucerne has a 3900 with the side mount like a n-body 3400. also a post on j-body.org should give u a little more info on fitment. i know a few guys have looked into it.

Comment

i know the LZ motors are bigger, but it's only a very small difference, nothing like what you're talking about, "hitting the frame rails" and whatnot. like i said, the length of the block isn't any longer, IIRC, which means the only thing he'd have to worry about would be the VVT actuator. and it barely sticks out past the outter edge of the belt. once he figures out mounts he should be just fine.

Cammed 3500 --> ???
                    1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

i'm talking about the motor that the g6 gtp's come with the one with a 3.9 or 3900 v6.

this 3900

Comment

I'm talking about this one

Comment

Working...
                        X