diffrent swap idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diffrent swap idea

ok i hope this fits here but this is my idea i have a 1999 sunfire 2.2 5 speed and i want to swap a 3400 in it i know it has been done before but what i want to do i have not seen before i want to eliminate all the stock engine wiring and fuel injection and put a 4 barrel carb on it

here's what i am thinking
    450 Holley carb
    i think edelbrock makes a 4 barrel intake for these motors not sure

then use the distributor from my old 2.8 firebird - will it work with the newer 3400?

then i was thinking a hotter cam that would give me a nice lumpy idle and perform good- any suggestions there would help

ether get a set of headers or build some and true duel exhaust- which i will build

now will this work any thing i should look out for and what kind of power do you think it would make over the stock 2.2

Welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, there isn't any "bolt-on" parts that will make this possible. There is no carb manifold that works with any of the 60V6 aluminum heads. So you would either have to custom make something, or swap to iron heads. Going to iron heads is going to drop your power significantly, probably even less than the stock 2.2 that is currently in there.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

what exactly makes the iron heads so much worse than the aluminum ones other than weight, would port work help them or larger valves or is it a compression thing like 350 heads on a 305 i have the heads pron my 2.8 that are iron i could use if there is a way to make them at least close to the 3400 heads

thanks for the input

Comment

Iron head combustion chamber size = 48.5cc
        Alum head combustion chamber size = 28.6cc

I'd have to do some digging for actual numbers, but it takes a huge amount of porting to get the iron heads to flow equal to STOCK aluminum heads.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
        X