Aye aye aye, another Camaro swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aye aye aye, another Camaro swap?

Hi all, I've searched and read and my eyes are kind of blurry now, but here goes with my shenanigans. My dad is rebuilding the 3.4 in my sister's 1994 Camaro. I told him about doing a 3400 top end swap with pistons so he ended up picking up a 3400 out of a 2000 Impala. I told him to use the heads, upper and lower intake and pistons from the 3400. Am I missing anything?

He was wondering about using the roller cam from the 3400 but that I was not sure on. He said it was the same diameter as the 3.4 cam but I don't know anything about using the roller cam. Does what I told him sound correct? What about the roller cam? What pushrods should he use, the 3.4 or 3400? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm second guessing myself when I was pretty sure I knew. Wow that's a lot of writing! Thanks in advance for any help or information!

I'm not sure on the pushrods, but for the rest of it, I believe you've guided him in the right direction. As for the roller, you need to stick with the flat tappet because you have no way of making sure the roller lifters stay turned the right way. The roller engines do so by way of the plastic brackets that bolt down on top of the lifters so they keep the roller pointed the right way. Hope this helps
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      I'm not sure on the pushrods, but for the rest of it, I believe you've guided him in the right direction. As for the roller, you need to stick with the flat tappet because you have no way of making sure the roller lifters stay turned the right way. The roller engines do so by way of the plastic brackets that bolt down on top of the lifters so they keep the roller pointed the right way. Hope this helps
      Okay, that's good to know. He actually was talking about using the plastic brackets to keep the lifters in place. It just seems that I've read so many things about pushrods and everything that I don't feel certain on everything anymore!

Comment

The problem with the brackets on a flat tappet block is there is no place to mount them to like there is on a 3x00 engine. Otherwise, if there were a place to bolt them to, you could use rollers in a flat tappet block.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

My crazy dad just told me that he drilled out the areas for the brackets to fit! So apparently he was thinking about that too.

Comment

Working...
          X