99 3.1 swap to 2k+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 3.1 swap to 2k+

I am about to swap out a bad 3100 and find that I can save around $100 or so on buying a newer 2000 and up engine.
    From readin this forum it seems that most of it is plug and play, but possible timing cover issues? Also, EGR will have been changed. Would a simple wire splice work for different plug ont he valve? Or are they that different requiring a full intake and exhaust manifold swap?

Anything else other than basic plumbing like heater hoses?

My goal is for a running car, not a performance gain.

Thanks a lot guys.

For the record, I have done only about 30 minutes of reading on this here so far, but will continue as it is pretty common. I just have not run into the correct thread with my needed information.
    1992 Isuzu Rocket ™ 2.3 LGO
    JI chassis by Isuzu
    Powered by Oldsmobile
    Brains by Megasquirt
    Built my Me

Originally posted by malachi View Post
    Also, EGR will have been changed. Would a simple wire splice work for different plug ont he valve? Or are they that different requiring a full intake and exhaust manifold swap?
    The EGR plugs are the same, it's the way they mount, so no worries about splicing wires. Swapping your old intake onto the new engine will bypass having to monkey around finding the right intake. Also watch the Cam Position Sensor as there are two different pigtail lengths that I know of. As for the timing cover, yes, there are a couple or so different styles. That could be swapped over as well. Timing cover gaskets are cheap, and if you are careful, you can get away with out having to change oil pan gaskets- but if the engine is already out, why not put a new pan gasket and rear main seal on it to prevent a future headache? Doing the LIM gaskets and moving over to the metal ones would be a wise move as well, especially if you have to swap out your intake due to the EGR. Hope this helps
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Right now it looks like I'll be swapping in a low milage motor from a 2002 car that was ass packed recently.
      1992 Isuzu Rocket ™ 2.3 LGO
      JI chassis by Isuzu