No announcement yet.

03 GAGT LX9 and Getrag F-23 swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the same problem that EP's LSD's had in the beginning when he was machining the face of the spider gears... he would machine off that taper and not re-make it. I had many get stuck and I have two friends with 5-speed beretta's that can't get their drivers side axles out PERIOD... he changed the design to not shave the face off and now my axles go in and out like OEM.

Got Lope?
    3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
    Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
    Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
    12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

well got that CV joint puller in the mail and the threads on it were wrong but jam nut right, free replacement is in the mail and was told I could keep the one I have.... so hogged out the hole to slide over the slide hammer and bought another jam nut and welded one to the attachment but still axles would not budge would also only fit on the passenger side

was forced to pull the drivetrain back out and now I wait as I need to get 3 holes tapped on my replacement transmission... I want to drive this before snow comes so no LSD for now

took the side mount off the trans and part of the casing fell in my hand

Comment

Weld on a new chunk of aluminum to tap for that trans mounting hole. Had to do it for a 5 speed and an auto before. Cheap cast.
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

ya figured that would be a option, if I can get the damn shafts out lol

well the guy`s at www.re-speed.com helped me out big time today, took me last minute and under a hr turn around time to get my transmission back!

went to swap slave cylinders and of course more bad luck, 1 of the bolts holding it in snapped off.... I couldn`t believe it but thankfully it had enough sticking out I was able to weld a nut on to it and back it out

more concerned with driving this before snow so dirty trans went in

got my replacement CV puller and wrong threads again! Jam nut correct :S

Comment

not much of a update but it's sometimes tough to get in the garage with working 6days a week and still trying to have a social life haha

coilpacks mounted using a combination of 3400/3500 brackets, still need to take it off and trim some pieces off but at least it fits using all 4 mounting points

notched the fuel rail so the FPR will mount on a somewhat angle and grinded some of the UIM but still to close for my liking, was scared of cutting through the rail but I guess I'll go a little bit more lol

need to get my headers hooked up so did some shopping after work today... all 2.5" and some o2 bungs since my headers for some reason never got drilled for the main o2 sensor but kind of glad as it was designed to only read from the front 3 cylinders so going to move it down to the merge

headers will be getting sandblasted and POR-20 high heat coating(1400 F)

Comment

this thread needs some updates but for now I'll just leave this here

starter wont crank with the key right now, ran a wire to the starter solenoid and had someone turn the key as I put the wire to the battery to get it's first breath of fresh air!

Comment

my sandblaster wasn't cooperating with me so ended up sanding majority of my headers by hand

POR-20

clearance issue's with my headers and T-stat housing

needed to notch my battery tray to get it to fit with the CAI, also running W-body plug wires for anyone curious on how I routed them under the UIM

LX5 TB worked great for my vac lines

making my TB bracket and just wondering how much slack if any should there be on the cable? and to anyone running the LX5 tb did you drill the hole out on the TB to accept the TB cable or grind it down slightly to fit in?

and the start to my downpipe, going to move the flex closer to the flange... easiest DP ever with those S&S headers lol

Comment

Well S&S headers were made to fit your car so yeah it's easy... LOL You shouldnt have any slack in the throttle cable so I would adjust that more so its right against the linkage.

Got Lope?
                  3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                  Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                  Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

true, glad I wasn't making it for factory manifolds is all lol

TB bracket.... had the 3400 and LX5 to play with and pretty much chopped the middle out of the LX5 and cut the 3400 to fit in, still needs work as you can see lol

got a little trigger happy while tacking it in and melted my TB cable clip... stupid mistake on my part but what can you do, and my PS pump decided to leak like crazy on 1st start up so need to head to the wreckers anyways

winter plans might include 3" so didn't bother buying a cat for the little time ill get to drive it this yr

Comment

called the wreckers while at work the other day to get a PS pump and TB cable, I showed up 4hrs later and they never bothered to remove a cable for me I had no tools on me, wearing shorts and it was -2 out so I didn't bother going in the yard myself, only went home with a PS pump as they had it sitting on a shelf... Plastic welded my TB cable and its holding up just great though! and as you can see I needed to extend my MAF wiring

the reason for a new pump....dirty PS fluid EVERYWHERE

I still only had 3 out of 4 mounts holding this drivetrain in so got my J-body poly bushing installed in the N-body mount and needed to drill the sleeve out (15/32" drill bit)

remember to use some sort of fluid and go SLOW or you will just ruin your drill bit, went out to the shed and tossed it in the vice for this

installed, I forgot to install the small heatshield around the bushing bolt, hopefully no issues

ohh and it drives!!! put 20kms on it today, needs a battery so parked in the garage till after work when I can grab a new one

was very shocked how well my DIY alignment worked out and had a check engine light pop up even with my modified PCM, P1810 TFP valve position switch circuit

and last but not least huge shout out to Scott(1QUICKHATCH) for making my TB adapter, selling me some parts and coming to London TWICE to work on my PCM/drop parts off
                      Last edited by Forgotten User; 11-17-2014, 01:37 AM.

Comment

have a few hundred kms on the swap and only issue is from driving over top of a stick on the road lol bent my heatshield for the exhaust so a little rattle now sometimes

quick vid from 2nd to 3rd

Comment

nicely done! car looks great

Comment

what did you do for your base tune? what bin mods did you do for the five speed? are you running a clutch anticipate switch on pin 18 of the clear connector?
                            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

I don't know much about the tune as I bought a HP tuned PCM from another LX9/5spd swapped grand am, was from a 99 and mines a 03 so different service numbers and just had someone copy the tune and toss it on my 03 PCM... I could maybe get a copy of the bin if buddy who flashed my PCM still has it on his laptop(another 60* member).... from what I'm told it had several hrs of in car tuning done with LX9, 65mm TB, 2.5" exhaust and multitec 2 injectors/fpr, I do have 2 trans related codes currently but car runs great

whats this clutch anticipation switch? only wiring I did trans related was for the reverse light and starter to crank with key

if anyone wants the 99 N-body LX9/5spd HP tuned PCM I'll sell it as its now useless to me

Comment

it's a normally open switch attached to the clutch pedal, as soon as the clutch is pushed, it closes to ground, letting the PCM know to expect a drop in RPM.
                                "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Working...
                                X