Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3500 Engine - what is the best octane fuel to run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 Engine - what is the best octane fuel to run?

Hi,

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am and recently completed doing the 3500 engine swap as follows:

2006 G6 LX9 38k
    28# Trailblazer fuel injectors
    TCE 65mm TB
    CAI with K&N filter
    MMS PCM Tune
    JEGS coil pack
    Taylor wires
    NGK 5599 spark plugs

I've been running mostly 87 octane fuel, but the car does seem to have a bit more zip with higher 93 octane fuel...note that the higher octane fuel was added to about 1/2 tank of 87 octane, so it was really a 50/50 mix.

What do you guys recommend would be the best octane fuel to run with this setup?

Thanks...!

If you are not tuned to run 93 it won't produce more power. What it will do is reduce any KR you may have which you may be experiencing a "bit more zip"

Being a fairly stock engine you won't get much out of running 93 tuned. so just stick with 87
    14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

Originally posted by young gun View Post
      If you are not tuned to run 93 it won't produce more power. What it will do is reduce any KR you may have which you may be experiencing a "bit more zip"

Being a fairly stock engine you won't get much out of running 93 tuned. so just stick with 87
      ^^^This.

From what I remember about being told about the stock GA tunes is they run a lot of spark advance to the point of the PCM pulling spark from the factory so I think young gun is spot on.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Also if you decide to get a real tune and not a canned one (which I highly recommend) You want to get a wideband o2 hooked up to get it as good as that tuner can get it.

I got a tune from a local guy after milzy swapped it and it is a million times better. Honestly felt like a new car after it got properly tuned. I haven't had a chance to go back to the track to see the improvements but I swear it is at least .2 faster in the 1/4. I was hitting 14 degrees of knock so I may have had that kind of improvement.
        14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah...I wish I could get a local tune done. There's a few local shops that tune the ricer cars, but it's hard to find someone who knows these GM cars well and how to properly tune them.

Comment

Originally posted by Starglow View Post
            Thanks guys. Yeah...I wish I could get a local tune done. There's a few local shops that tune the ricer cars, but it's hard to find someone who knows these GM cars well and how to properly tune them.
            I don't know squat about them but I doubt they can be that bad.. http://www.carolinaautomasters.com/gmtuning.php

Can call these guys.. http://www.tickperformance.com/

These guys.. http://www.mayhemmotorsports.net/

The gentlemen that did my car was into 3800's but he did great on mine. The thing to look for us would be just a GM tuner that is willing to tackle ours. Or someone who does 3800 as flashing and what not is very similar. Excuse the lack of knowledge as well I have a lack of knowledge for tuning :P. I just know tuning is very important and can make a huge difference in a car.

Comment

The guys at Mayhem do a lot of Corvette and Camaro tuning and they're close to me so I'll stop by and talk to them this week. My son and I both agree the car tuning needs more work.

Thanks for the links.

Comment

I ran 89 octane E-10 in mine except for at the track, then I ran 91 or 93 because it's pure gas around here.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                X