Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3500 Engine - backplate deflection...normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 Engine - backplate deflection...normal?

Hi guys,

I've been troubleshooting a noise issue with the GA that occurs mostly when in gear, but sometimes in park to a lesser degree. I have discovered that the three torque converter bolts were wrench loose, but not backing out since I did use blue locktite on them when the engine was installed.

I have the torque converter bolts removed and now trying to determine whether the backplate to engine crank bolts are also loose. I can not wiggle the backplate at all when trying to turn it back & forth by hand, however I do get some deflection when pushing it inward near where the edge teeth are located, so I'm wanting to know if some backplate deflection like this is considered normal or should it not move at all?

The answer will determine whether the engine needs to be pulled again to tighten the backplate bolts although I did use locktite and torqued them to spec when it was installed on the engine.

Thanks in advance.....!

The flexplate is thin and will move with prying, but you should be able to tell if it's loose on the bolts as it would "knock" back and forth whereas when tight, it will bend a little.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      The flexplate is thin and will move with prying, but you should be able to tell if it's loose on the bolts as it would "knock" back and forth whereas when tight, it will bend a little.
      Thanks for the reply. I thought it was ok but wanted to make sure.

Comment

Working...
      X