Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fasteddi
    replied
    ahh I see. Thanks for the pics. My rad will enter on the opposite side of yours so it will make for a interesting turn.....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I know it's an S-10, but this is the stock thermostat housing to a stock (S-10) V6 rad:

Leave a comment:

• caffeine
    replied
    Just FYI the BCC stat housing won't work with the stock rad hose either

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Originally posted by caffeine View Post
    Bcc still sells them afaik but there's no reason you can't use the stock one with a different hose
    Ok I just thought i read that a new one had to be placed there but if I can get away with using the old and using a diferent hose then im ok with that. I think I will understand the placement of the parts much better once the engine is in the car. Pics on the internet are one thing but its always better to see it in person.

Leave a comment:

• caffeine
    replied
    Bcc still sells them afaik but there's no reason you can't use the stock one with a different hose

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Why do you need a custom thermostat housing?

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    To be honest I couldnt afford the 210 bucks or so for the stud kit, although it is something I will get down the road the first time I take the heads off.

I am having a problem finding a custom thermostat housing. I was sure I saw that there was ones avalible at bbc at one time but for some reason can not find them. Any ideas what to do for that situation?

Leave a comment:

• 3400-95-Modified
    replied
    WOT-Tech sells a setup for ARP head studs for the 3x00 application. I also typically go GM headgaskets only OR Cometic MLS ones.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Updates

Ok I got the engine back. Came out to be bored to .030 over. Got the speed pro pistons to match and moly rings. Also got the "good" metal intake gasket set, .060 Victor Head Gaskets, Felpro Head bolts, new cam bearings in the block, new rear main seal as it was starting to leak anyways.

Assembling the block this upcoming weekend so that I can finally make sure my pushrod length is correct. When I order them im just looking at wot. So I want hardened pushrods? The size im looking at is arround 6.250 and 5.950.

Made up the passanger header finally. Turned out well. Cant make the drivers side till the engine is back in the car. Pic attatched.

Haven't gotten the DIS reluctor wheel figured out yet but one step at a time. I want to get the engine back in the car so I can see where I can mount things and the sensor.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yes, but depends on what source you are going by. Most aluminium head spec are .060" thickness, while iron head is .040". IIRC some of the gen2 660s were speced to have a .040" headgasket. The only time this is an issue is if gen3 pistons are used, that will come proud of the block by .020".

Leave a comment:

• caffeine
    replied
    Aren't the iron head gaskets a different thickness or something?

In any case, the new GM gaskets are known to hold boost well, and are graphite.

There have been lots of Fel-Pro gasket failures on 3400 turbo cars though. The victor reinz gaskets on rock auto seem to be GM gaskets though if you don't want to buy a whole head set from GM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Back when I built my turbo hybrid, I used 3100 head gaskets. The reason was because there was some suggestion at the time that the 3100 head gaskets, vs the iron head 3.1 gaskets, were made with such a material that would allow the head to "slide" accounting for the different heat expansion characteristics between the two kinds of metal. Whether it actually made a difference or not I can not say for sure, all I can say is that I never had a head gasket problem in the time that engine was together.

I also re-used some original 3100 head bolts without issue. I tend to re-use the TTY head bolts at least once, and have not had any issues on several engines doing so.

To get an ARP stud set for the aluminum heads you need to piece together a couple different sets, or order the studs individually. I don't recall the details, but the details can be found. Alternatively WOT used to sell a pre-assembled kit for the ARP head studs, but I haven't checked to see if they are still available.

Leave a comment:

• fasteddi
    replied
    Ok thanks guys

They dont sell arp stud kits for the 3100/3400 so do i have to piece it together from other kits if i went with studs over the throw away tty bolts?

Leave a comment:

• 1988GTU
    replied
    ARP studs for the heads.

Leave a comment:

• Canyonero
    replied
    You're essentially building a 3100, so get the 3100 bolts and such.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X