No announcement yet.

3.1L/3400 hybrid swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the custom push rods. Im going to purchase a push rod mesurement tool but have no idea what size of length im looking at. There a few different adjustable tools ranging in lengths. If I was to get 6.125-7.50 inch tool would that work or would i want a shorter one? This is for the 3.1L Gen1 block and a Delta cam 260 grind cam and lifter set with the 3400 gen 3 heads atop. Im not sure what the preload on the lifters should be as of yet but regardless i just need to know a range of what it will be so i can pick up the tool. Thanks again everyone!!
    BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
    1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
    1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

After Christmas I plan to get my pistons, also I plan to take the block to the shop to get bored/honed...exc once i have those pistons in hand.

Are these pistons correct? There for all passenger cars 3100's. Im planning on boring the cylinders out to .030 over. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...make/chevrolet

Also I currently have delta260 cam but opted to get a 272 grind from them. The lift will be upwards of .500 and a tad more on the other side. Im looking to get a set of yellow ls6 springs to match the cam and take the lift.
      Last edited by fasteddi; 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Look for my engine build thread on TGO... The pushrod sizes are in there.

If you insist on doing it yourself, however, get the Comp checker listed in the WOT-Tech pages (you will need to go there anyways for the pushrods).

Keep in mind the STOCK 1996+ rocker arms on the 3x00 series are 1.6:1 ratio and not 1.5 like on your current heads (if the rockers are roller fulcrum they're 1.6... pre-96 used the usual 1.5:1 stamped rockers).

Might call Summit and make sure those pistons have the 28cc dish otherwise your compression will give you fits with the turbo.

:edit: Would you be willing to part with the old Delta cam when you don't need it any more?
        Last edited by Maverick H1L; 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Ok mav. Ill check out your page.

Yea I would part with the delta cam and lifters to match. I have 2 stock cams still in case i ever need a core.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick H1L View Post
            (if the rockers are roller fulcrum they're 1.6... pre-96 used the usual 1.5:1 stamped rockers).
            Actually, Pre-96 gen 3's are also 1.6, just ball fulcrum like the gen 2's and Gen 1's had.

It's a popular upgrade for the gen 2 guys.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Update

I rewired the fuel rail to fit my injector connectors, cleaned up the intakes and gave them some coats of hi temp paint as those were horribly dirty.
              I've began to start buying parts.

I got a 3.4L new 7x trigger sensor on the way, a new rfl blow off valve. The old one was past its days.. Also a delta 272 cam/lifters and a new timing chain set. Im still aiming to take the block to the mach. shop after christmas to get it bored over .030. The shops getting the pistons and such as they are selling them to me cheeper then I can buy them from anywhere on the net. I plan on just going to a JY for the 3.4L camaro alt bracket once I get a nice non snowing day...

Comment

DIS questions.

The 2 crank sensor wires will connect into the DIS module. Then there is a reference output, a ground output, a system ground, a bypass output, and est outputs.

On my old wiring I would connect the est wire with the new one, i would connect the reference with the new one, i would connect the bypass with the new one, but then there is a REF Low on the old dizzy system? What would I do with that? Do I even need that input to the ecm anymore because I don't see what I would use it for.

I assume that the system ground and the ground from the Dis module is suppose to be separate? System ground is to the ecm ground and the other ground is to the frame?

Im running code 59 so hopefully i can set up the bin correctly but first i need to start some wiring as the engine is coming out tomorrow. Id like to start to straighten up my harness and any wiring that needs redone.. Currently I have piles of wiring diagrams in front of me so Im trying my best just to figure it out but if anyone can help i really appreciate it!

Comment

Simply:

Pink to pink
                  Black/White to Black/White or just to the frame/engine
                  Black/Red to Red/Black (IDK why they swapped the wire colors but they did and the function is the same)
                  Purple/White to Purple/White
                  White to White
                  Tan/Black to Tan/Black (you can leave the EST bypass connector if you want)

Crank Sensor:
                  Yellow to Yellow
                  Purple to Purple
                  There MAY be a ground but it will NOT be at the sensor and it's a shielding wire)

Comment

Low reference always means ground afaik... Sometimes grounds are supposed to go through the ECM however. When I wire in the DIS I always end up with an engine ground on the two wire sensor (other wire is IGN+ power).
                    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Maverick basically has it, with one exception, some modules have a tach output that can be black/white, you don't want to ground that. There is another colour that was used for the tach output. but I don't recall the colour off hand.

Comment

All the pigtails I've seen use a white wire for the tach output.
                        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

White does sound correct for the other colour. The one in my Datsun (660 IDS was used) is a black/white for the tach output, IIRC the pigtail came from a late '80s or early '90s L-body.

Comment

Ok. Thanks guy for the info. That helps me alot!

I did get the engine pulled today and started dissembling the block for the shop. I just need to remove the cam and crank. Everything else is out, cleaned, and labled. Once thats done I can start cleaning up the engine bay area and doing some wiring connections this weekend after christmas.

Comment

I forgot there's 2 white wires...

The wire at the DIS module's large connector, terminal C, is for the TACH. The other one is the EST wire. There is no wire, generally, in D, IIRC. Also, keep in mind that some have had issues with the tach when swapping to DIS.

Comment

Any idea how well they work with a autoguage tach? The stock one isnt accurate at all but the AG tach is what I use.

Comment

Working...
                                X