No announcement yet.

3.1L/3400 hybrid swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, first try the tach attached to the wire like usual. If it fails to read, then you may need to add a transistor circuit as a signal booster.

Comment

I have had several aftermarket tachs attached to DIS modules, Auto Meter/Auto Gage have never been an issue. Other no name cheapies I used for testing some ideas also had no issues. The only one I have had an issue with a Stewart Warner that I have no set-up information for and believe it's just a dip switch setting that needs to be tweaked.

Comment

Ok thanks a ton fellas for the informative responce. On another note I have the block striped bare and ready for the shop. I'm quite excited that this is moving forward thus far. The one hickup is that I have to assemble the engine at another garage as mine is too dusty due to the stone floor.

Merry christmas everyone, have a safe one!
        Attached Files
        BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
        1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
        1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

I had a similar issue with my tach in my 1993 Cavalier. It is a 3.1 with DIS. I had a TON of issues with it, as seen in a thread on this site.

While I was repairing the problem (I hope!) I didn't get a tach signal. turns out that they put two white wires juxtaposed on the same harness! One is to the '7730 for EST functions and the other is TACH. I got them turned around due to my own lack of diligence- failing to label the wires before cutting. I was going to cut one at a time, but the next day, I walked out and said:"Well, I should shrink wrap the whole harness together, so I'll just cut them all...AAAWW! Why didn't I label them???

Comment

When I went from Distributor to DIS in my Trooper, I used an MSD tach adapter module.
            '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
            '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
            '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
            '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

May be a few dumb question here but just want to make sure as my engine is in the shop getting bored out and such and will be back this weekend so i can start assembling it.

What is the normal for head gaskets on this setup? The 3.1L head gaskets or the 3100 head gaskets? Or are they even different....

Also I have to get some fresh tty head bolts. Do I just get 3.1L ones again or 3100/3400 ones. I notice that the lengths are different for the different heads but if i can get some insite on these things i would be very grateful. Thanks

Comment

You're essentially building a 3100, so get the 3100 bolts and such.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
                '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

ARP studs for the heads.
                  Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Ok thanks guys

They dont sell arp stud kits for the 3100/3400 so do i have to piece it together from other kits if i went with studs over the throw away tty bolts?

Comment

Back when I built my turbo hybrid, I used 3100 head gaskets. The reason was because there was some suggestion at the time that the 3100 head gaskets, vs the iron head 3.1 gaskets, were made with such a material that would allow the head to "slide" accounting for the different heat expansion characteristics between the two kinds of metal. Whether it actually made a difference or not I can not say for sure, all I can say is that I never had a head gasket problem in the time that engine was together.

I also re-used some original 3100 head bolts without issue. I tend to re-use the TTY head bolts at least once, and have not had any issues on several engines doing so.

To get an ARP stud set for the aluminum heads you need to piece together a couple different sets, or order the studs individually. I don't recall the details, but the details can be found. Alternatively WOT used to sell a pre-assembled kit for the ARP head studs, but I haven't checked to see if they are still available.

Comment

Aren't the iron head gaskets a different thickness or something?

In any case, the new GM gaskets are known to hold boost well, and are graphite.

There have been lots of Fel-Pro gasket failures on 3400 turbo cars though. The victor reinz gaskets on rock auto seem to be GM gaskets though if you don't want to buy a whole head set from GM.
                        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Yes, but depends on what source you are going by. Most aluminium head spec are .060" thickness, while iron head is .040". IIRC some of the gen2 660s were speced to have a .040" headgasket. The only time this is an issue is if gen3 pistons are used, that will come proud of the block by .020".

Comment

Updates

Ok I got the engine back. Came out to be bored to .030 over. Got the speed pro pistons to match and moly rings. Also got the "good" metal intake gasket set, .060 Victor Head Gaskets, Felpro Head bolts, new cam bearings in the block, new rear main seal as it was starting to leak anyways.

Assembling the block this upcoming weekend so that I can finally make sure my pushrod length is correct. When I order them im just looking at wot. So I want hardened pushrods? The size im looking at is arround 6.250 and 5.950.

Made up the passanger header finally. Turned out well. Cant make the drivers side till the engine is back in the car. Pic attatched.

Haven't gotten the DIS reluctor wheel figured out yet but one step at a time. I want to get the engine back in the car so I can see where I can mount things and the sensor.
                            Attached Files

Comment

WOT-Tech sells a setup for ARP head studs for the 3x00 application. I also typically go GM headgaskets only OR Cometic MLS ones.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

To be honest I couldnt afford the 210 bucks or so for the stud kit, although it is something I will get down the road the first time I take the heads off.

I am having a problem finding a custom thermostat housing. I was sure I saw that there was ones avalible at bbc at one time but for some reason can not find them. Any ideas what to do for that situation?

Comment

Working...
                                X