No announcement yet.

3.1L/3400 hybrid swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually I redid the test with a timing wheel, dial indicator, exc and this time i got about 9.1 DCR which sounds alot better then the 10.x:1 Engine is ready to toss in hopefully this weekend or early next week.
    BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
    1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
    1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

• 9:1? thats not bad but holy cow that is bleeding off a ton of compression if static is around 12.5:1 if its correct, you should be ok on e85. I would prob start on 5 lbs and work up to around 10 psi and see where things are. Make sure you break in the cam properly or you could lose your lobes and your lift will suffer. I had that happen on an engine that I bought used that had a higher lift crane cam and stiff springs. Disassembly showed a worn lobe on a cylinder on either the int or exh lobe as I can't remember exactly. its a prob with flat tappets and stiff springs.

good luck with putting it all back togethor. I think you said you went with 80 lb injectors. If you had gone with 60's your tune with e85 would have been pretty close. That is I think you were using 48 lb injectors? e85 reqwuires about 30% more fuel, and 30% more than 48 is 62lbs. That would have put you close to the same injector PW as when running regular gas. if I remember something wrong about your setup please correct me. So with 80's on the same tune, you might need to actually pull 20% to get afr's where they need to be. something to think about if I remember correctly.

Comment

• Yea the static is about 12.5:1 but the overlap is higher with this bigger cam i am using. I was using this large cam specifically to lower the dynamic compression. Doesnt help me spool up but it does get the dcr under control. The advertised durration is about 290/294 and at .050 its 230/234 iirc. Its up there compared to my other delta 270 cam which was advertised at a 270 and at .050 its was in the 22x area not a split cam though....

Yes i was using 48lbs injectors before but had them maxed for the last year on my set up. The injector DC was arround 85-90% at high rpm 15psi of boost. I was planning on getting larger injectors for awhile now and saw this as a opportunity to over size a bit.

My tune was good before but i ran a 11.32@123mph and then a short while later i was idleing the car and a piston shattered. So im guessing that I must of had a fracture in the piston possible from that run, then later on when i had it idleing and then reved it up in park it went like a blender.....

Ill be sure to break in the cam right. This is the 4th cam now that ive had to break in with my camaro. Ive always done well and never ran into a whiped out lobe but this time I will pay special attention to it. My valve springs are strong but not too much to where i need to toss in stockers to break in the cam thankfully.

Comment

• Update.

I have done quite a bit in the last few months and still have alot of work to go.
          I have a Hughes 35-2dr transmission now that has a full man rev valve body(same as i had in my last trans) I also have a PTC billet 9.5" 5000rpm stall to go with it.

I have lake wook struts shocks all arround. Turbosmart BOV and wastegate

Tubular adjustable tq arm, tubular trans cross member and the list goes on and on.

Ive also added a cage to the camaro but im still working on that.

Ive also rebuilt the 3.4 block. Added cosmic MLS gaskets and arp studs finally, which were well overdue. I easly made 400-500hp for a few years now with stock head gaskets and stock style tty head bolts. I know freaking stupid.

No automatic alt text available.

Comment

• Also i dont think I ever updated it when i got it running on E85 and high compression so here is a vid of the big cam and such,

This was with a 3.4l iron head block with iron headed pistons with the gen 3 heads on top, which jammed up the compression to about 12.6:1 from my math. It was rediculus but it ran just fine on E85. I ran it at about 10psi of boost for a bit but never got the chance to race it since i had family issues(my mom died from stage 4 cancer)

I rebuilt this engine to be back down to 9.5:1 compression like it always was before. And im also going back to good ole pump 93 gas/ This year i had a best of 11.23@123Mph on 15psi so hopefully next year i can tease myself with 10s if im lucky from all of my suspension improvements and also a very very good TC and new transmission.

Last edited by fasteddi; 12-13-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• I tossed my engine trans back in the other day, its a fairly well built engine and trans set up. The best ive put together by far, although i did all of the work myself, i got the trans built as is. So my hands were not in this trans at all. But its a solid one.

Diamond forged pistons .010 over, scat I beam forged rods, ARP head studs, cosmic MLS .010 over head gaskets, then all the clevet bearings throughout plastic gauged to confirm specs. Static compression will be 9.6:1

It have the borg warner s366 on it, but will have turbosmart WG and also a turbosmart Race port BOV. I plan to run the 7psi outter spring I have in it at first, then toss in the inner 7psi springs to raise it up to 14psi. Then run from there depending on how fast it goes.

This also already has the transmission in it(I put it all in together in one piece). Its a Hughes 35-2dr with the added on transbrake as well(sent back and its really a 35-3d). Hardened input shaft, reverse man VB with a brake. Hughes rated it with the brake at 650HP. Plenty for me as i never plan to run something that strong with a V6. I have my VSS installed with my speedo gears to match my tires/gears as well as my temp sensor.

The PTC converter is also in there already as well. Its a 9.5" nissan core Billet converter. Spragless, turbo spline, We aimed for 4500-5000rpm so we shall see what it does this spring.

This is the first time I ever tossed the engine and trans all in, in one piece. I have to say it was dirt easy. Worked well. I have the new tubular cross member made for the TH350 in as well, I have to bolt it all up still. Hook up the driveshaft and then the adjustable tubular Tq arm. Then lots of work under the hood. Wont happen for at least a month because of my job but at least i got a big part done.

Im beyond excited for this set up to be together. I don't expect it to be a lot faster then last year but i plan it to be safer and more reliable by far.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X