Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4L/3400 Top End Swap

Hey everyone,
    I've been looking into doing this swap for a long time and I finally feel confident enough to give it a shot. This engine will be going into my '95 Camaro with the 3.4L obviously. So far my build plan is:
    2000 3400 Upper Plenum
    2000 3400 Lower Plenum
    2000 3400 Throttle Body
    2000 3400 fuel rail + regulator
    2000 3400 Fuel lines
    3.4 Water Neck (British Car Conversions)
    2000 3400 Heads and Valve Covers
    Pacesetter Headers
    3400 Spark Plugs
    Dual wire Temperature Sensor
    3.4L Block

I believe that I have to change to the 3400 pistons to run a safe CR, so if anyone can confirm that I'd appreciate it. But just out of curiosity, what would the CR be with the 3.4 Pistons? And other than a junkyard, is there anywhere that sells stock 3400 pistons? As for gaskets I'm not too sure which ones I need so anyone who can help me with that I'd appreciate it as well.

I think I have the tuning part figured out for the most part. I was pointed towards Tunercats who recently came out with support for tuning the 3.4L Pcm in win flash. I feel like a couple of tuning tutorials and I should be able to figure it out.

There's still a few more things I need to decide on and was hoping I could get some help from you guys. For the cam, I've been debating on running the Comp 260H or 252H High Energy Cam, along with 1.6 Comp Rocker Arms with the Hardened Pushrods but I'm not sure if I'd be able to use that with the set-up I described above so any help or guidance you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    -Johnny

Yea you have to change out the pistons to the 3400 ones due to the much smaller combustion chamber on the alum. heads. With the 3.4L iron block pistons youd be up arround 12:1 plus. I cant remember what they say it will be off hand but I know its up there for a pump gas engine.

Ever heard of Deltacams? That's what I have. Currently I have a 260 grind my Camaro and its a good mild cam. Comparable to the 260H from comp. I paid 115 bucks shipped to my door with lifters. Just another choice for ya. The grinds that they sell that are good are the 260 and 272.

I have a 3.1L engine that im doing the hybrid thing on currently but you, just like me, will need to get custom length pushrods. They will cost about 150-200 bucks but its necessary. I still haven't measured mine to confirm the length I need but thanks to another member I have a good idea of the length. Im sure they will be the same as yours.
    BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
    1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
    1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

Any idea where I could find a set of stock pistons? What did you use for your springs and seats? And I'm going to order that pushrod measuring tool for wot-tech to measure mine haha.

Comment

Just look at summit or a place like that. Look up the 2000 3400 engine. I havent gotten new springs yet as i was unsure of what cam i was going to run but im going with a set of trickflow ones that will work well and let me reuse the stock seats and retainers.
        BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
        1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
        1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

Do you think I'd be able to use the connecting rods off of my 3.4L pistons on 3400 pistons?

Comment

Originally posted by Robindehood View Post
            Do you think I'd be able to use the connecting rods off of my 3.4L pistons on 3400 pistons?
            Yes, they are the same between the two engines.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
              Yes, they are the same between the two engines.
              So what's the difference between them then?

Comment

The rods are the same but the 3400 pistons have a dish. I can't remember if the 3.4 pistons have a dish but if they do its smaller.
                '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                  The rods are the same but the 3400 pistons have a dish. I can't remember if the 3.4 pistons have a dish but if they do its smaller.
                  That's great to know man! Thanks alot. So Caffeine, are there any specific cams I should be looking for that are better for the aluminum heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Robindehood View Post
                    So what's the difference between them then?
                    There is no difference, hence being the same. In fact the rods are the same between the 2.8, 3.1/3100 and 3.4/3400 engines. The 3500 uses different rods.

Comment

There is no difference, hence being the same. In fact the rods are the same between the 2.8, 3.1/3100 and 3.4/3400 engines. The 3500 uses different rods.
                      I was just referring to the Pistons themselves haha. But good to know that Raven! Thanks for the info Any chance you'd know the best route to go with the cam? Because I'm fairly stuck. Thought I had a good idea with the 252H or 260H Comp Cam but apparently the lift isn't adequate enough for the aluminum heads.

Comment

What? Who told you that the lift "isn't enough for aluminum heads"?

I ran a GMPP cam that was a Crane 260-2 equivalent, which IIRC is similar in specs to the Comp 260H, in my hybrid and it ran well.

Comment

What? Who told you that the lift "isn't enough for aluminum heads"?

I ran a GMPP cam that was a Crane 260-2 equivalent, which IIRC is similar in specs to the Comp 260H, in my hybrid and it ran well.
                          John suggested going with a different kind of cam, because the lift isn't best suited for the aluminum heads. Unless I read it wrong but that's what I took from it. I think I found the cam I want to go with though

Comment

So I think I'm going to go with wot-techs street/strip cam and the custom length pushrods. Can anyone recommend any other things to order that're necessary from wot-tech?

Comment

You'll also need valve springs. Get the comp 26986 springs.
                              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X