Which is best ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is best ?

My project [ turbo / hybrid] requires I fab my own mild steel headers from flanges and pipe kit. I have two,well actually three options, a stick welder, a wire feed or an oxy/ acetylene . I had a introd. course many yrs ago but feel confident I can do this with a little practice. Which would you prefer the wire feed or the oxy and why ?

I would recommend your give this a read :-)

Comment

MIG them then grind them down/pressure test.

That is if you can't get a hold of a TIG.

Stick would make a mess of it and I don't think you'd get a good enough weld out of gas.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        MIG them then grind them down/pressure test.

That is if you can't get a hold of a TIG.

Stick would make a mess of it and I don't think you'd get a good enough weld out of gas.
        Yeah, I'm thinking the little wire feed might be the ticket.I will have to set it up and start practicing on some scrap exhaust pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hard Driver View Post
          Yeah, I'm thinking the little wire feed might be the ticket.I will have to set it up and start practicing on some scrap exhaust pipe.
          I would and did gas weld mine. Why would anyone want to do a lot of unnecessary grinding? The only exception would be the weld to the header flanges. Bevel the flanges for the tubes from the gasket side of the flange. Either mig or stick weld the tubes to the flanges in the beveled area. Then face the flange gasket surface on a belt sander.
          Ed

Comment

Mig expsecially if its a real gas and not a influx wire core. Its easiest and works the best imo unless you have access to a tig welder and can use that.
            BorgWarner S366 3.1/3100 Turbo Thirdgen
            1/4 mile best 11.59@119mph
            1/8 mile best 7.47@94.9Mph

A 11.70 Pass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxC...aSKRMi9Jn94Ubg

Comment

So mig if I have the shielding gas,which I do,or oxy / acetylene if I want a smooth weld ? Thanks guys, since I'm gonna have to do some practicing on scrap pipe I'll give both a try, I may find that I prefer one over the other !

Comment

I've done lots with flux core, they usually turn out good after a little grinding.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I've been thinking of mig welding up some header for my firebird I just have a flux core lil linkon but would it help (because there is no gas hook up) if I used a separate gas tank and fed that into the capped off header as I welded or is it worth it I've wanted to make some for a while now but I've been waiting till I can get a tig and practice a bit but thats not happening this year so I wanted to just make some bs headers for now till I turbo it later

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X