Hi guys. Been a lurker first time posting. 3.1 lar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys. Been a lurker first time posting. 3.1 lar

Hello guys. My name is jeff. Im from the toms river nj area. Has plenty of engine exp, worked on alot of these engines, just never modded one. Not looking for a crazy car, but this is my daily and I want it to be a little more fun to drive. I want a 3.4 swap or an lx9 in the future, but this car only has 23,000 original miles. So I'm gonna drive this engine into the ground. Then a 5 speed 3x00 Swap it will be. I own a 92 z28 that's 355 powered so that is my weekend warrior. Like I said I just want this one to be more fun.

Anyways, need some help/advice. Please look over my list and feel free to add things I may miss. I will be doing this swap next weekend but I'm going to pull parts tomorrow. Here's the skinny

My car. 1997 grand am gt 3.1 v6
    Donor car 2001 Buick century, 3.1

I will be taking

Upper intake
    Lower intake
    Egr valve
    Egr tube
    Coolant return line from heater core AND push in fitting. (Thought about tapping it but I don't know what size tap I need and this seems easier, if I'm wrong please tell me)
    Was gonna take the tb but its just another 52 mm right ? Might take it anyway.

As for gaskets

The lower intake gaskets I will be buying are a set of lowers from felpro for my 1997 3.1 (cause of the pin locations I'm told)

The rest (upper, egr, o rings) will be for a 2001 Buick century.

Am I missing anything ?

No one has any input on this swap ? Come on I'm going to pull the parts in an hour ( poured yesterday).... Gonna try and get the heads too but I'm limited on time....

Comment

It's a L82 top end to LG8 swap... simple and many write ups on here about it. You don't need the heads to swap on the larger intakes. Only thing to note is if your gaskets have pushrod guides but being a 97 it probably has roller rockers that don't need guides so you can in reality buy a full 2001 lower intake gasket set for your 97 and it should fit fine.

All EGR components will swap right over without issue... Use the newer EGR design, plug is the same. TB may be the larger version since the upper intake is also larger so grab it... Regarding coolant parts... you'll just have to grab what you can and mix and match to get it to work. There is no right way and everyone does it differently.

Got Lope?
      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Well thank you. I appreciate the input. I am new to the v6 world. Been a small block guy my whole life. But I'm pretty sire i got everything I needed. I know its a basic mod I just want to be prepared. I'll start a new thread for this question but i cant seem to get a straight answer about the tap for the coolant line. I've heard 1/2" and 7/8 not but never got a solid answer.

Comment

1/2 NPT I found it in the 3400swap guide which covers most of the items you'll have to watch for.

3400_Swap_Guide_v2.5.6.pdf

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
          X