SOLUTION : Throttlebody doesn't close all the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLUTION : Throttlebody doesn't close all the way

ok so i got the tb on today and im having a problem, the gasket worked fine as i was able to cut it with a really sharp razor (i just bought a new one). the problem im having is that the unit does not snap back into position as the stock one would, it seems like the spring is weak, i know this is a different topic. we put a dab of oil on the unit and that seemed to help but then the spring will not pull the plate back all the way, we unhooked the cables to the unit and still the same thing, it unit stops till the little plate comes like a cm from the adjusting screw on the bottom of the tb. is there supposed to be a break in period on the spring? everything else went smoothly with just the cruise control needing adjusting but it isnt exactly ideal when the car idles at 1500rpm, thanks for everything
    Last edited by 99gav6; 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM.
    mods so far: p&p heads, s&s headers, mpracing cai, full cat back exhaust (2.5" pipe, magnaflow hf cat and magnaflow muffler), 180 thermostat, msd 8mm wires, mp racing tune... 15.225@90.23 ..mods since tce 65mm tb

Make sure the TB plate is centered, other than that I say a piece of un-deburred material is in the way or a bend shaft.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I will have to wait till tomorrow, its dark and i got school work to do. I drove it around the block though and the whistling sound of the intake is gone, it just sounds like a big whoosh of air now. I could try the old spring on it and see if that makes a difference. Have you had this happen before ben?
      Last edited by 99gav6; 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM.
      mods so far: p&p heads, s&s headers, mpracing cai, full cat back exhaust (2.5" pipe, magnaflow hf cat and magnaflow muffler), 180 thermostat, msd 8mm wires, mp racing tune... 15.225@90.23 ..mods since tce 65mm tb

Comment

It worked great when I put it together. I make sure they sit on the throttle stop and there is no binding. You could try loosening the throttle stop, extending it, and tightening the nut back down. I would be surprised if the shaft got bent.

Perhaps the temperature changed caused it? Take it off and go inside with it. It should open and close without a problem. If you can't get it to work right, send it back and I will take a look at it.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Did you put the TB plate in the right direction? If not it will get jammed in the bore. Is the spring in the right way?
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

It was assembled at the store. Ill mess with it tomorrow though and see what i can come up with. Thanks for the feedback, that means a lot to me. Also the tb itself if real high quality and everything fit fine which is awesome.

Comment

Yep, loosen the 2 throttle plate screws and let the plate fall into it's natural position. I had that problem at first with mine.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

well oddly enough the problem has somehow fixed itself. I drove it this morning and it didn't stick at all, i checked it a few minutes ago and everything it working just as it should. Thanks a lot guys, and Ben ive always heard good things about your store and now im a satisfied customer. Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Comment

Check the plate screws, maybe they are loose and allowing the plate to move around.
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Just checked the plate screws and they are tight, i loosened them and let the plate fall into position then tightened them again. It seems to be working correctly so im happy, it was just a little odd though.

Comment

Moved to its own thread in case someone else has this problem.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yeah the plate being centered is very importan but I also used another spring hooked form the cable bracket to the long ear on the throttle linkage. That shut it just fine. I think Brad did this on his Beretta?
                        Lorenzo
                        '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                        '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Working...
                        X