Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT-TECH Billet Motor Mount w/install instructions

WOT-TECH 1999+ N-body Billet Mount

Install was quick and easy, 30-45 mins tops, even while stopping to take pics.

After install complete, Test Drive:

Drove around for a bit, just to make sure all the bushings and what not settled in appropriately, and allow the building of a little heat in the engine bay.

Initial throttle from from the dig - lower response time from hammer to feeling the pull. In otherwords, notably less torque flex. Pulled hard with no wheel-hop

Shifts - under hard acceleration (performance shift enabled at 92lbs line pressure) shifts were more firm, yet smooth. no clunky feeling as with many hard mount systems, again less torque flex on shifts.

Standard driving - comfort was same as driving stock, no notable vibration transfer, yet offered a bit more feeling of performance responsiveness.

All said, very nice indeed, and I'm sure with the response increase I was feeling and the shift firmness and stability, it should easily shave a little off my ET's.

AND THE COOL PART: They'll be discounted in WOT-TECH's "Black Friday" sale !!

WOT-TECH Billet Motor Mount Install Guide:

Installer: Michael Montgomery (BlackJack)

Install Time: 30-45 minutes, no helper.

Difficulty Level: Easy

Tools/Materials: Jack, jack stands, block of wood, basic standard/metric sockets and combo wrenches, 5mm hex-key, large screwdriver and/or pilot tool.

All original nuts/bolts will be retained and reinstalled except the nuts labeled (2) in step 5.

Mount received:

1. Set parking brake, and place front end on jack stands, or if you have a low-profile jack, you may not need to depending on if you car is lowered or not.

2. Place long wooden block (2x4 short length works fine) between the jack and motor to protect the oil pan, and raise a little just enough to take the tension off the motor mount. (Identify stock motor mount in following photo):

3. Take cruise control module loose (if equipped) by removing retainer clip on bracket.

4. It is NOT necessary to remove cable/wires from cruise module. Simply move it to the side as shown.

5. Locate the nuts/bolts on the mount cap. Begin loosening bolts labeled (1) evenly a few turns at a time. If you begin to see the motor start to lower, then raise the jack a little more to support the engine. Once those are removed, then remove the nuts labeled (2).

6. Remove the upper cap as shown:

7. Remove nuts (3) holding the stock mount bushing assembly to the lower frame

8. Remove the mount bushing assembly

9. Take the opportunity to do some cleaning while you have everything apart. This is one of the areas that is hardest to get to during engine bay cleaning.

10. Turn the mount assembly over and remove the 2 lower retaining nuts labeled (4)

11. Separate the bushing from the lower mount plate and keep the nuts for re-use with new assembly

12. Remove bolts labeled (5) and separate the new billet mount pieces:

13. Attach lower billet mount cradle to factory base plate by aligning the 5mm hex key bolts labeled (6) through holes in base plate

14. Turn the base plate over and secure with the factory nuts labeled (7), which were removed from the original busing assembly. Ensure you torque these securely.

15. Reassemble the bushing assembly

16. Place the supplied mount pads labeled ( over the frame bolts as shown

17a. OPTIONAL PROCEDURE – Due to slight GM factory casting variations, there may be a need to open up the top plate so that the supplied bolts slip through.

17b. Orient the lower mount plate so that the offset hole has the Long offset side as depicted below, and install the factory upper mount plate and secure/torque with bolts labeled (9), and insert bolts with locknuts labeled (10) through the cradle and bushing assembly and tighten.

18. Place the assembly over the lower frame bolts and begin threading (but do not tighten) factory original nuts labeled (11)

19. Place a large screwdriver or pilot bar into the large hole as shown and align the motor with the upper mount plate

20. and insert factory original mount bolts labeled (12) into the holes and torque down.

21. Lower the jack supporting the motor and torque down the lower frame mount nuts labeled (11)

22. Take a moment to recheck all the bolts/nuts for tightening, then reinstall the cruise control module (if equipped) and any other accessories you may have removed prior to install such as coolant overflow lines etc.

23. Finished install should appear like so:

Remove car from jacks, put away your tools, and enjoy driving !
    Last edited by BlackJack; 11-27-2009, 03:24 AM.
    sigpic

Excellent write up, thank you!

Only problem...I forgot to send you the nuts for under the bracket to the mount. Those are actually supposed to be included and have the nylon in them like the side bolts. Sorry! I will send them with your next box of parts in case you have that apart and want to replace them. I doubt you will have any problems. Let me know what you think in 1-2k miles or so. That should be enough time for a long term usage under your conditions
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

As I said in the other forums, excellent write up!

Ben is on top of the newest and best products for our cars
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
        Excellent write up, thank you!

Only problem...I forgot to send you the nuts for under the bracket to the mount.
        No problem, and we can fix the under bracket deal here in a couple of weeks when I install the UDP, so it will not be out of the way, or sometime down the road when I do a total rewire.
        Last edited by BlackJack; 11-28-2009, 03:09 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
          Let me know what you think in 1-2k miles or so. That should be enough time for a long term usage under your conditions
          well as long as it applies to the thread here i go.

ive had mine in for awhile now and have logged a decent amount of time driving with the mount in which includes several out of state trips. i had no problems with it on long trips and the whole trip it felt good and solid.

before i continue i should add that i also have the front solid mount from milzy so my results may be different from the people who only have the main engine mount shown here.

with all that said at first i noticed a tiny bit added vibration but nothing that wasn't wicked noticeable unless you sat there and looked for it.

initial throttle response is more firm and crisp feeling. pulls hard from the second i hit the gas through the shifts. less energy wasted through the engine moving and more hitting the ground.
          sigpic
          99 Grand Am GT
          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
          515 515 lift 112 lsa
          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Working...
          X