WOT-Tech's new cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT-Tech's new cams

Instead of contacting Ben directly on WOT-Tech.com, I thought I'd ask about them here so others can find out the same info I'm after.

So I noticed that Ben offers 2 new cams for the 3x00 engines. One being the Little Thumper cam and one being a customizable billet steel one. I'm pretty excited about the little Thumper, but I couldn't get much info about it other than what's on WOT-Tech's website.

My questions are:

1.) Since I intend on doing a 3500 build, I wanted to get a cam. The little Thumper seems like a "cam of all trades" and I like the idea of the lope at idle. Would this cam be able to produce more HP than the Street/Strip with the right supporting mods?

2.) What does going with a billet steel cam offer other than reliability over what's already available?

3.) Do you have any sound clips of the Little Thumper's idle?

WOT-Tech JUST started offering these cams so Ben may not have had enough time to go too much into detail on the site.
    2000 Silvermist GL2 Sedan w/ LX9 3500 V6

Current performance mods: TCE 65mm throttle body, ported 3400 upper intake manifold, ported 3500 lower intake manifold and heads, WOT-Tech Strip performance cam 276/264 adv duration .536"/.520" lift , COMP Cams 26915 Valve Springs, 28# Trailblazer Injectors, TOG headers, LS1 MAF, MMS Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump, Custom PCM tune and 4th Gen Camaro front calipers

I am waiting for more information on the billet cam as well, because we need to be able to use some of the really extreme lobes to make that worthwhile. They are full circle lobes so anything that fits a small block cam journal should be available on it.

The Thumper cam is based on the Comp Cams THUMPR lobes, and dynomation was used to compare how this works for the cams Comp made for the other motors. 2 cams have been ordered, one for a customer and one for our test car. Customer is OBD1 and we will be tuning it long distance. Test car has a few dyno pulls to do for results before we get to putting the cam in.

I wrote some numbers down for the stock 3400 using the stock cam, street/strip, and the little thumper. This should give you an idea of how its gonna react. Of course with more mods the thumper is gonna make even more top end power. I want to get some real world results though.
    thumpermation (Small).jpg
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thumper (Small).jpg

Added the strip cam on a stock 3400 as well. You could call it a strip cam with lope.

Calculated VE at 1000 RPM is 64% stock. This cam is 49%. The cam I was looking at for the Big Thumper was 25%....
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'm pretty excited about the new cam options, I'd love to see someone run some really crazy lobes on a 660.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Dave already has run some crazy lobes, but I'm sure he will also be the first to want to try something even more crazy... LOL

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
            Dave already has run some crazy lobes, but I'm sure he will also be the first to want to try something even more crazy... LOL
            I'm thinking more like "lobes bigger then base circle" kinda of crazy! :P
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Pages 15-22 in the comp master lobe catalog are what we can use for the normal cams, including most of the Q series. No Marine. This is a game changer....if you want 600+ lift. MUHAHAHAHA. As for the billet cam, no limitations as long as the lobe is designed for the small block journal. Gen 3 oil pump drive is melonized and should be ok with the steel gear. Otherwise bronze gear is where its at.

EDIT: The billet core will need a composite or bronze gear.
              Last edited by SappySE107; 04-05-2013, 05:14 PM.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                Pages 15-22 in the comp master lobe catalog are what we can use for the normal cams, including most of the Q series. No Marine. This is a game changer....if you want 600+ lift. MUHAHAHAHA. As for the billet cam, no limitations as long as the lobe is designed for the small block journal. Gen 3 oil pump drive is melonized and should be ok with the steel gear. Otherwise bronze gear is where its at.
                anyone make a bronze gear?

Comment

Yup, I still have one in stock. Cost me over 100 bucks last time...hopefully that won't be the case next time around since I won't be dealing with another company to get them (paid 25 for drop ship fee!).
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ouch!

Comment

Crower 76005. $50 on jegs so yeah...I got screwed last time.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

so, how long until we see dyno results?

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                          so, how long until we see dyno results?

As soon as you drop the coin on a billet cam :P
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

I'm about tapped out right now, between the order I placed with you guys last month and the machine shop there's not much left!

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                              Ok lets see if I understand this now...Current Comp grinds are reground stock cams with the lobes from pages 15-22? Or are the cams Comp starts with completely blank with no profile ground at all yet? OR is the billet cam the alternative that has no profile which allows anything to be ground as long as it fits in the journal?

I'm confused because you said Mars's cam was not a "regrind" and he sold that for rather cheap, yet the billet cam is close to $900

Also by this statement as well "Comp Cams uses a new cam blank to create a wide range of choices for your naturally aspirated engine."

Wondering what the difference is between a "blank" and the un-ground Billet cam that allows it to have more lobe choices.
                              Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM.

Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Working...
                              X