Little Thumper Cam in a mostly stock Grand am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Thumper Cam in a mostly stock Grand am

If you aren't on facebook, or don't have us "liked", here is a video we posted up yesterday

Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

When I go to the WOTTECH store which cam is this and is it suitable for a LG8? That sounds NASTY!!!! Kinda caught me off guard.

Comment

http://wot-tech.com/shop/gm-60v6/lit.../prod_388.html

Didn't realize it wasn't listed in the valvetrain section. The video was a nearly stock LA1 on a stock tune so its going to work with your stock engine pretty much the same way.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Holy crap. That would be nasty with a set of headers and a muffler
            14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

I'm thinking the same thing

Comment

SappySE107

Did you only do cam or did you do seats/springs/retainers also??

Comment

I would assume he would at least have to do springs to support that cam... and depending on which springs that would determine which seats are needed, and retainers are personal preference... I'm still using stock.

I've been contemplating this cam as a second option for me but I'm not sure how it would do with nitrous and just compared to my current cam.

Got Lope?
                  3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                  Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                  Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                  12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

26986 springs and stock seat/seal, stock retainers/keepers. The manley retainers are machined, so much nicer quality and more room above the retainer for the valve tip/rocker arm. I was going to use this cam (this exact cam...had it in stock) with my build but now I have an extra strip cam lying around. Power wise, they are close to the same for top end power, but the strip cam has better low/mid range power and less lope where as this cam is designed for the sound first, power second.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Isn't price the same? Now you got me thinking strip cam. This is my daily so how bad would strip cam affect my mpg's and is it turbo friendly because long term goal is 10-15psi on the Toyota CT-26 twin scroll I have laying around.

Comment

I have another question. With the shaved head and longer pushrods does that give you a little more lift? And what compression ratio are you sitting at now. I have watched that video about 25 times now and that thin sounds like a monster.

Comment

All cams are the same price unless you get a billet roller cam I wouldn't expect the strip cam to be turbo friendly. Street/Strip isn't bad, but no lope unless you idle it around 600 RPM. We have more vids of different cams but need to organize them for the site. A turbo cam would be best for a turbo. Lope and turbo don't mix very well. MPG will suffer slightly with the strip cam. Street/Strip is close to the same. Only the MPG/Torque cam will possibly help. You can't have everything.

No, you don't get more lift from longer pushrods or shaved heads. You get less lift with too short of a pushrod, and a noisy lifter to go with it. Its best to have proper lifter preload and order the cam with the specs you want/need. No other way around that. Stock compression is 9.6:1. More would be better for this cam or the strip cam but not necessary.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                          X