Cam Timing Verses Performance Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Timing Verses Performance Question

This question regards a stock 3.4 Litre engine.
    I have seen threads with cam timing tools that bolt on at the location used for the cam hold-down. This has got me wondering if the stock cam timing of using the cam flats to get 180* opposite at TDC's is the optimum cam timing for my stock engine.
    I would like to know if a different cam timing would be beneficial as I will be getting to this step very soon.
    Last edited by Jogasz28; 12-07-2006, 11:12 PM.
    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
    Project '69 Camaro in the works
    '95 Monte Carlo Z34 loaded,
    '99 Monte Carlo LS

6 advanced intake, 6 retarded exhaust. I like it a lot with an automatic car. Doesn't mess up the computer bad or anything either for 94-95. Thats crank degrees. Its 3/3 cam degrees.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      6 advanced intake, 6 retarded exhaust. I like it a lot with an automatic car. Doesn't mess up the computer bad or anything either for 94-95. Thats crank degrees. Its 3/3 cam degrees.
      I appreciate the reply.
      Could you expand so I can fully understand what you mean?
      How do I set the cam (i.e., tool needed?) at those cam or crank positions?
      jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
      '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Something just occurred to me.
        Couldn't a "sticker" be developed that could be attached to the dampener, with an alignment mark in the middle of the sticker positioned at the dampener TDC notch that would accurately scale the degrees of crankshaft position (3/3) before and after TDC so you could use it to set the camshaft positions (6/6) while the cams were positioned at the camshaft "flats" ?
        jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
        '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

I was originally going to try to do a sticker type setup. The timing tool was nice but no one makes them now. You got it backwards though. 6 crank degrees = 3 cam degrees. The cam spins at half speed. 6/6 is crank degrees.

It would also be possible to make some hold down that set it to 3/3 at the cams.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
            I was originally going to try to do a sticker type setup. The timing tool was nice but no one makes them now. You got it backwards though. 6 crank degrees = 3 cam degrees. The cam spins at half speed. 6/6 is crank degrees.

It would also be possible to make some hold down that set it to 3/3 at the cams.
            Thanks for the correction. I'm a backwards kinda guy. <LOL>
            In order to make a hold down at 3/3, you'd have to machine the correct angle to register the flats at the correct angle from "flat", right?
            Sounds like a CNC type of job.
            jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
            '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Originally posted by Jogasz28 View Post
              Thanks for the correction. I'm a backwards kinda guy. <LOL>
              In order to make a hold down at 3/3, you'd have to machine the correct angle to register the flats at the correct angle from "flat", right?
              Sounds like a CNC type of job.
              Could the 6* of crank travel be converted to a measurement from the timing mark on the dampener?
              Or,
              If anyone has a tool and has set their cam at 3*, couldn't they measure from where the engine cover pointer hits the dampener to the dampener factory TDC mark?
              jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
              '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Idont know but if you figure out an easy way to do it let me know because im putting P&P heads and getting some new pistons, rings and replacing all that good stuff..

So i might as well advance or decrease the timing while im putting it all together..

~Rich

Comment

i made a sticker on cad. and glued it to the crank dampner, and it worked awesome. it was prettty easy.

Jake
                  GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixgtp_91 View Post
                    i made a sticker on cad. and glued it to the crank dampner, and it worked awesome. it was prettty easy.

Jake
                    Will it work on a '95 3.4 Litre?
                    If so, could you share?
                    jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
                    '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

i never saved it, i just made it printed it and used it, you can easily make one by taking a protractor on measuring out the degrees on a piece of paper cutting it out,and gluing it to the dampner.

Jake

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Comment

Originally posted by grandprixgtp_91 View Post
                        i never saved it, i just made it printed it and used it, you can easily make one by taking a protractor on measuring out the degrees on a piece of paper cutting it out,and gluing it to the dampner.

Jake
                        Would you take the diameter of the dampener into account?
                        Would you measure the diameter of the dampener and make your own circle, drawing the 3* from say noon, then measure from noon to the 3* mark and use that length on your dampener from the TDC mark?
                        Would that be accurate enough?
                        jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
                        '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

you need to measure from the centre of the crank dampner(middle bolt) to the edge of the crank dampner, and extend the lines as far as that. then it will be accurate

Jake

Comment

actually you could bend the steel stock at the bolt hole and using a lil of trigonometry make a set. I would suggest making 2 and welding one to the other after bending both to reinforce it.
                            92 cutty auto with a 97 3.4

93 convert with 3.4

Comment

Originally posted by joey b View Post
                              actually you could bend the steel stock at the bolt hole and using a lil of trigonometry make a set. I would suggest making 2 and welding one to the other after bending both to reinforce it.
                              O.K., I'm blonde:
                              Which bolt hole?
                              How would it attach?
                              Bend it from where to where?
                              jogasz28

'68 RS Camaro,
                              '99 Monte Carlo LS

Comment

Working...
                              X