DIC and HUD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIC and HUD question

hey I don't know if this is the right area to post this but I was wondering is it poossible to put a DIC and HUD into a 1995 GTP that didn't come with one stock and if it is can some1 point me in the right direction where I would find intrustions on doing so

TIA

You can add one to your car. FOr a stock style one, I am fairly certain you can grab one from a 94-5 Grand Prix (Goes in the cubby above the headlight switch).. If you could even find one, a 96 will not work properly because the 96 is designed to run on OBD2. Now, you can add the older style from an 89-93 Grand Prix, however, the same issue with all things working right comes into play here.. You are on OBD1.5, and the older versions are designed for OBD1. Now, becasue you have an LQ1, you CAN get an Olds. DIS to almost completely work in your car via a chip reprogram..

As for HUD, these are NOT computer system specific and you can grab one and it will work if you wire it in right.. If you feel ambitious, a 97-03 GP HUD has radio indicators as well..

..Hope this gets you a decent start!

90 Chevy Lumina: 3.1L V6; swapping out for TLQ1
    94 Cutty Supreme: 3100 V6
    Soon: Something new?

Comment

You can indeed put a HUD and DIC in your car that does not have one. You cannot use the 91 - 93 HUD system because it won't fit without some modification. The 94 - 96 HUD will fit perfect and it is all bolt on. You just need the dash pad from the donor car. Now for DIC you can only use a 94 - 95 DIC. The 96 DIC's are different because they run off of the OBDII system.

There is no need for wiring. The wiring is all tucked away in your dash. You just need to find it. It is usually in the same general area tucked in some electrical tape and foam.

If you want to you can use the 97+ HUD. You just have to re-arrange the pins on the stock harness in your car. I have a 95 GTP and a 97+ HUD and it works great.

Comment

does the DIC work off you stock headlight switch or did you grab the HUD switch from the 97 ???

Comment

Originally posted by mmckelvey View Post
          does the DIC work off you stock headlight switch or did you grab the HUD switch from the 97 ???
          You don't need a switch for anything with the DIC. The HUD is the only thing that needs a switch because you have to control the height of the HUD on the window. The DIC just sits in its cubby. And when you turn the headlights on it will light up too.

Comment

HIJACKING THREAD

ok on a 91 GP without the DIC as an option the harness is not present in the console. Anybody have an old harness they want to get rid of?

Comment

can I rig this HUD into the Lumina Z34 1994?

Comment

You can put the HUD into anything you want as long as you have the patience to get it in there and looking good. As far as wiring goes, the cars are all pretty much the same in the wiring aspect.

I put a 2000 Grand Prix HUD in my 1995 Cutlass Supreme, and it works great. The Cutlass Supreme was not designed to have a HUD, so it had to bre custom installed.

I don't know how much room the Lumina has on the dash, but you might be able to get a 1992-1994 Cutlass Supreme HUD to fit (seeing that it sits FLAT on the dash instead of curved like the Grand Prix).

Here are some pics that might show you what the different styles are. I personally prefer the 1992~ish ones. The image is better.

This is the 1991-1994 Cutlass Supreme HUD, dimmer switch, and image. the HUD sits flat on the dash, the dimmer is mounted upright next to the DIC, and the image is big:

This is the HUD in my 1990 Grand Prix STE (it is a 1992 HUD, and dimmer switch). The HUD is curved to match the dash, and the dimmer switch is under the wiper controls, so it is long, and mounted flat instead of upright. The HUD image is also big like the Cutlass Supreme.

This last one is the 2000 HUD in my 1995 Cutlass Supreme. In the first pic, you can see that the HUD UNIT is mounted UNDER THE DASH, and the dimmer is integrated into the headlight switch. The image is also smaller than the other two. The RADIO DISPLAY is not compatible with the OLDSMOBILE BOSE radio that I have in my 1995 Cutlass Supreme.

Taylor
                1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

FOCUS FOCUS!! lol this looks good. i cant wait to post pics of mine when i get it in my z34.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

I have a 95 DIC for sale $25 +Shipping.
                    I dont know what this means but "ASS HATS" is funny

Comment

i just installed one into my 91 lumina, that could NEVER come with one from the factory!! wasnt a hard install either, just scary carving up the dash

Comment

HUD displays are pretty cool! 3100 MPFI: I have one suggestion! On the newer Vettes I test drove there is like a rectangular piece of tint so during the day and the sun is too bright, I assume the tint is used to make the HUD display more visible. Try to take a rectangular piece of 5% or 20% tint and put it on your windshield so you can see the HUD display a lot better during the day! Nice install!
                        sigpic1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6 MFPI, 5 speed, completely stock, bucket on a budget!

Comment

if that was a quote from jay, hes right. they have it. my cousins bonnieville had it too. its a special kind of tint though, more of a rainbow kind of colour than dark.

Comment

Well, I know its see through when looking through the windshield, but when you are in the driver's seat its a dark color. Has the same effect if you use 5% or 20% tint. But its more of a cost effective way of adding it. I am not sure how much GM dealerships charge for the piece on the window but I think it comes in a kit. Ask for the "HUD Tint" for a 03-09 Corvettes and 2004-up GTPs. I think they come in a kit too (applicator, fluid, instructions).
                            sigpic1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6 MFPI, 5 speed, completely stock, bucket on a budget!

Comment

I found an after-market HUD tach and shift light today.

Considering the price of a good tach and shift light, it's competitive.
                              sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                              A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                              Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                              Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                              PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Working...
                              X