connecting rod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting rod question

I have been trying to figure somethings out about the twin cam in my 1995. I have to totally rebuild it, and was curious about doing somethings that are different. I am not saying I am going to do this, and I am not looking for an engine theroy type of thing. Just simple answers to stupid questions.

First of all, is the 3100 Connecting rods the same as the 3.4 DOHC connecting rods? I did a search, but could not really find anything conclusive.

Second, What can be done to either STROKE, or DESTROKE the engine.

I think I read something about using a 2.8 crankshaft and connecting rods, or something. Is the purpose of this to make it the high revver? If that DESTROKES it, what will the new displacment be?

In the same sense, if you STROKE it, what would you have to do, or use to get that. And same as before, what would the new displacment be able to get upto.

Lastly, how much displacment could you get out of the 3.4 DOHC if you were to both BORE, and STROKE it?

I need the answer to the CONNECTING ROD question more than anything else. I have bad connecting rods in one of my 3.4 DOHC's (knocking), and I have a complete set of 3100 connecting rods.

Thanks
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

the 3100 rods are the same length and same diameters, they should work fine..

If you stroke or de-stroke you'll need custom pistons. to de-stroke you could use a 2.8 crank, 5.7" rods and custom pistons..

to up-stroke i'd use a 3500 crank and offset-grind it so you can use the 5.7" rods (decrease rod journal diameter) and then custom pistons.. not sure how far you could go with displacement. maybe 3.6-3.7L

worth the work? probably not.. lol
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

They are the same exact connecting rods. I haven't seen enough known connecting rods to say if the casting differences I have seen are DOHC > Pushrods or if its a year thing. They look nicer to me for the rods I have seen.

You can get a lot if you sleeve the block:P
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

cool. This now gives me even MORE hope.

my 3100 MPFI needs rods, and my 3.4 DOHC needs rods. Between the 2 engines, I have 1 good set. Now I can pick and choose which engine I want to get running and for which project.

The 1988 that had the 3100 MPFI is getting something else. I know that already. I already have the engine and tranny in there, but I have to rewire the car for OBD2.

For the green car, I am not sure yet. I am probably going to see through the 3.4 DOHC rebuild. Something in me wants to see it to completion. But if I find anything else wrong with that engine, those rods are going into a 3100, and that will go into the green car.

I have like 2 engines that are knocking. My 3100 MPFI, and my 3.4 DOHC. Between the 2, I have one good set of rods. I will make up my mind AFTER I get the 3.4 rebuild and into the green car.

Thanks.
        Taylor
        1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

Im pretty sure I have 6 rods that you can have if you need them, still assembled onto the pistons.
          I modify stuff

Comment

which pistons are they? 3.1, 3.4, or 3100, 3400?
            Taylor
            1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

3100 looks like, 89mm

Rods are in good condition.
              I modify stuff

Comment

Working...