Engine/tranny Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine/tranny Swap

As promised,, here's some pics taken during my 93 Z34 engine swap. That Craftsman ATV Jack certainly saved MUCH trouble!! Made a HELL of a work platform too, could raise or lower it and resting on the jackstands it was real solid... The engine is a 93 and has 59,000 miles on it and the tranny is freshly rebuilt with zero miles (it IS making some noises tho). Every item that can wear out has been replaced/rebuilt. All new suspension bushings, rack and pinion, motor/trans mounts, brakes, wheel bearings, tie-rod ends, ball joints, PS pump and,,, well,,, you get the idea, if you can name it I've more than likely replaced it!!! The engine has an extra O2 type wire that appears to be related to California Emissions, car runs fine without it hooked up... Cranked it some to build oil pressure and then let it start. Fired RIGHT up!! NO Codes or leaks!! Car drives great, other than the "New" front wheel bearings got wasted from sitting for a year and a half,,, they're pretty noisey... Other than that everything went very smooth!! All-In-All I'm pretty happy!! Now I gotta get on my lawyer about registering it, there's an estate and Trust Fund involved...
    This is a BIG step for me... 9 years ago, on Oct 23rd as a matter of fact, I had my left leg amputated... It's been a LONG, TOUGH (I have more problems than that) road.. When I first got my car I absolutely couldn't work on it and actually paid to have an alternator and timing belt installed.. Now I know can do ANYTHING!! AND I did it all with NO help,,, other than my friend stepped on the brakes to loosen spindle nuts....
    ThanxXx for lookin',,,,
    Tom....
    I'll post some pics of the car once I get it clean...
    I posted a good pic of the oil drive....
    Attached Files

Hey Walterdude, I know you did this project a while back, but I was hoping you might remember who you got to rebuild your transmission, and where you found new transmission mounts. My mount is shot and even though trans shifts great, the input shaft bearing is rattleing, and I don't want to destroy trans. Did you find out what was making the noise in your trans?
    1992 Grand Prix SE 3.1l 155k SOLD
    1992 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 55K
    1991 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 5 speed 99K SOLD
    1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 5 speed Turbo 36K Sold
    2011 Mazda 3s 5dr 6 speed
    2008 Grand Prix GXP 5.3l 24K sold

Comment

Look at pic #7. Walter has an auto
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

lol, yeah, bell different, and I see accumulator. Well, auto trans parts and auto trans mounts are practically at every corner store.... nevermind. Thanks Pocket-Rocket!
        1992 Grand Prix SE 3.1l 155k SOLD
        1992 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 55K
        1991 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 5 speed 99K SOLD
        1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 5 speed Turbo 36K Sold
        2011 Mazda 3s 5dr 6 speed
        2008 Grand Prix GXP 5.3l 24K sold

Comment

Yeah, I know. Rare is nice, but it can be a pain sometimes
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

nice job man! the engine almost looks brand new! its alot cleaner than mine anyhow.

you did better than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. (some saying my step dad always says) im not sure what it means cuz you kicked some ass there!! i know he couldnt do what you did! so... does the one legged man kick more ass by ratio or just by kicking more ass?

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Great Job man! thats more work then most car guys i know do! my motor is also much dirtyier then that, Makes me Jealous!

S
              Shane "RedZMonte"
              2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
              1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
              -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
              2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
              1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
              1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
              1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
              1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

so many questions!!!

Originally posted by walterdude View Post
                As promised,, here's some pics taken during my 93 Z34 engine swap. That Craftsman ATV Jack certainly saved MUCH trouble!! Made a HELL of a work platform too, could raise or lower it and resting on the jackstands it was real solid... The engine is a 93 and has 59,000 miles on it and the tranny is freshly rebuilt with zero miles (it IS making some noises tho). Every item that can wear out has been replaced/rebuilt. All new suspension bushings, rack and pinion, motor/trans mounts, brakes, wheel bearings, tie-rod ends, ball joints, PS pump and,,, well,,, you get the idea, if you can name it I've more than likely replaced it!!! The engine has an extra O2 type wire that appears to be related to California Emissions, car runs fine without it hooked up... Cranked it some to build oil pressure and then let it start. Fired RIGHT up!! NO Codes or leaks!! Car drives great, other than the "New" front wheel bearings got wasted from sitting for a year and a half,,, they're pretty noisey... Other than that everything went very smooth!! All-In-All I'm pretty happy!! Now I gotta get on my lawyer about registering it, there's an estate and Trust Fund involved...
                This is a BIG step for me... 9 years ago, on Oct 23rd as a matter of fact, I had my left leg amputated... It's been a LONG, TOUGH (I have more problems than that) road.. When I first got my car I absolutely couldn't work on it and actually paid to have an alternator and timing belt installed.. Now I know can do ANYTHING!! AND I did it all with NO help,,, other than my friend stepped on the brakes to loosen spindle nuts....
                ThanxXx for lookin',,,,
                Tom....
                I'll post some pics of the car once I get it clean...
                I posted a good pic of the oil drive....
                Great pics one more question what is that other hose near the spark plug wires and is it possible to change that one while the engine is still in the car, ok I meant two more questions. Thanks so much.
                =Joel=

Comment

dont know what its called, but i had mine out for some reason a while back while playing with my motor, just take off the air cleaner and intake tube, you should be able to see the other end of it. its also held on with a few nuts underneath it, so use your fingers and feel em out

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Working...
                  X