Smoke at startup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke at startup?

How many of you with the DOHC's have smoke at startup? i know i have it tuned to run a little rich and i have a high flow cat, but i dont think i should be getting this much. im thinking my valve seals are to blame. been dealing with it for over 2 years now. no major issues to speak of besides the puff's here or there.

here's a video i took:
    Yes
    62.50%
    No
    37.50%

I used to get a puff but that was due to the car running on a FMU. With a tune I get no more. I am talking about fuel not oil. I did get oil in the exhaust, but that was due to the oil drain line not being correctly installed. All fixed now.

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

I don't have a DOHC, but I do get a puff of smoke on a cold start. Seems that I get more smoke the longer it sits (usually not more than a few days). My 2.8L did the same thing, I don't think much of it.
      '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
      '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
      '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
      '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

my 96 GTP does it if it sits a little or a lot.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yeah my puff at startup will happen if it sat a few min or all night. im sure some of it is fuel related from my tuning but i think it is a sign my valve seals are showing their 184,000 mile age

Comment

I use to have smoke @ start up everytime. Then I replaced my heads and had brand new valves, springs, seats, and all that stuff replaced.

Comment

LOl, yeah that would fix it. What about your bottom end though??

M

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

This morning I released the starter too early and the engine wheezed a missfire out the intake (i guess), and I got my usual puff of smoke... but it came from under the hood this time. Cranked again and I went on my merry way.
                '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

valve seals usually cause that.. but if you are running larger then stock injectors you may also need to lower the cranking fuel settings. I had alot of smoke on startup till i got my injector PW down to around 2.5 during cranking.
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

A few years ago I had the same issue and just about the same amount of start-up smoke. Turned out the pcv valve was bad. One day I had the air filter off and opened the throttle body by hand and a nice stream of oil came out. Replaced the pcv and problem solved no more start up smoke and it doesnt use a quart of oil in a month any more. I've since gone to a catch can. This may not be your problem but its cheap and easy to replace.

I like the sound of your exhaust a lot. Whats your setup?
                    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
                    1994 Corvette
                    LT1/ZF6
                    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                    3.7/42RLE

Comment

well i know its not the PCV cause i dont have that system anymore... i was injesting a lot of oil thru it and went with the breather for the crank case. there are no vac leaks in the intake system. i fixed the main source of oil leak in the car Distributor Oring leak. but it seems im still looseing oil. not nearly as fast but deff getting burned somewhere.

also sometimes i can seen smoke coming out of my breather im thinking im getting some blow-by and could be burning off oil in the crank case itself.

as for my setup:
                      from the stock down pipe back is new. i have a High flow 2.5" cat, Magnaflow muffler, glasspack, then a Y pipe to the two Stainless tips. the entire system is 2.5"

another source of the sound is the porting in the intake manifold, TB, and FWI. the intake and TB porting did a bunch to deepen the sound on its own.

Comment

Yes it sounds like your valve seals or possibly worn rings if your getting alot of blowby.
                        sigpic
                        1992 Buick Skylark 2.3L 1996 GrandAm 3100 SFI 1996 Ford E150 Conversion 5.8L

Comment

Working...
                        X