No announcement yet.

HELP ME! Troubles with a 1992 Z34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got my '93 LQ1 for $900 -they wanted $1800. after some arguing from here in alberta. delivered to my shop at work.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

I'm not at all hell bent on swapping the motor, it's performance thus far has been pretty sweet. I was just checking my engine options if I did have to put another engine in her & what the best fit would be. I was talking to the guys at my regular repair shop today and gave them the info on checking the belt as you folks had mentioned above....I'll know more tomorrow and take it from there.
      I'm sure I must be able to find someone on the Island that is willing to spend the time to make it ok again.
      sigpic

Comment

I wish you lived close to me, I would be more then happy to hook you up with some help. It's the thought that counts, right?

Edit: In all honesty, I think that your shop is trying to get away with what they think is going to be easier and have less time involved for them. I can't really blame them, but on the same note, it's not going to be as easy as they think since it's not a strait drop right in, hook up and go deal.
        Last edited by pocket-rocket; 08-11-2009, 09:53 PM.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I had my my belt go in the winter years ago and phoned around around until I found a shop that said they had two mechanics who could do the belt on a 3.4 with their eyes closed. I didn't have the cam hold down tools and didn't want to work on the car when it was -20 out so its the only time I paid a mechanic to work on my car. If you have a shop tell you the 3.4 is a bad engine or hard to work on walk away because it usually means they're only good at brakes and mufflers, or just lazy. Have you called any wreckers on the mainland??
          Last edited by GTP091; 08-12-2009, 02:30 AM.
          1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

3.8L or a 3.8L supercharged.. also fits. i had one swapped in my '92 Z34. it took some work as far as wireing.. there is a guy on one of the swap sites that will rewire your harness for it to plug in and work... You would also need trans and axles for this swap.
            Shane "RedZMonte"
            2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
            1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
            -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
            2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
            1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
            1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
            1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
            1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Shane "RedZMonte"
              2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
              1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
              -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
              2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
              1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
              1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
              1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
              1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

im thinking of going with the new 3.8 supercharged motor, some modifications can be made with your existing harness. thers a guy on kijiji selling a z34 with a 3.8 installed. looks real nice too.

Comment

Keep your fingers crossed for me folks.
                  I found a mechanic yesterday that had done some work to my car a few years ago before I owned it (I tracked him down through the guy I bought the car from) and he said he loves the 3.4L motors and can do the belt no problem at all. It sounds promising to find someone who knows this motor well and doesn't mind working on them. Hopefully when he gets it he won't find any further damage.
                  sigpic

Comment

Good you found a mechanic who is interested in doing it. Like I said a before a good mechanic is hard to find and these guys are usually fair and wont poke you. I looked up my old re-timing bill and it came to 1004 taxes in. This is replacing all 4 cam sprockets (363) or 498 for all parts needed, gaskets and everything. They only charged me 400 for labour which now that i think about is low because I know it would have taken me a lot more than 5 hours to do it. This was in 05 in Alberta. Hopefully you have no damage if it is the timing belt. good luck
                    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

what wheels are those?

Comment

i would say stay with the 3.4 dohc. its such a rare motor i feel its like a shining puzzle of my skills and abilities. no mechanic likes working on them? so what, i do.

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingWeToddDid View Post
                          no mechanic likes working on them? so what, i do.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

And.........she's back!
                            The mechanic that I found just called me today to say he's got the belt and new pulleys on and the car is running fine!
                            I just went to pick her up, she's running strong and it's nice to have her back in action. (after it was out of action for almost a full month)

Thank you very much to everyone that posted suggestions etc to help me out. It's very much appreciated!
                            Cheers!
                            sigpic

Comment

GREAT stuff!!!! I figured you might luck out.. I like to see these cars stay on the road... They didn't make a whole hell of a lot of them in the first place... Here's the best estimate I've seen of production numbers,,, EXCEPT 94... I think the number is 4,225...
                              "Below are the production totals of the Chevrolet Lumina with the Z34 package.
                              1991 =8,628
                              1992=14,925
                              1993=11,898
                              1994=10,586"
                              Glad to hear it's running!!
                              Tom...

Comment

how much did it cost?

Comment

Working...
                                X