quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

i was just thinking. last year my engine in my 94 went out, and my mechanic put in a 97 dohc. i was just wanting to know the differences between the two, and what would he have had to do to get the 97 to work in a 94 car

well jake, as far as getting it to work in the 94: nothing, sticking the newer engine in the older vehicle, everything was compatible. i know the throttle body isn't permantely attached to the plenum like the 94 would be, and has improvements in the intake/exhaust and that the rocker studs are a different size, but heres a better source of info:

lists all the year-by-year changes for ALL 60v6 motors, but you'll start seeing the LQ1 once you scroll down to 1991.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Were you perhaps meaning lifter size?

Thats true, they have 33mm lifters only in a 97' 3.4 DOHC, 96' and back have 35mm.

The block on the 96'-97' engines also has improved oiling vains and channeling.

Accually, a lot of engine parts changed and improved in the 96' and up, where some parts that were fine were just carried on.
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

duh, lifters.... i'm too used to OHV...
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

was there there a hp difference

Comment

yes. i believe HP was 215, can't remember torque...
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

when he put the engine in would he have had to change anything since the car it came out of was obd2 and it was going into a odd 1.5 car because obviously he didnt convert it to obd2

Comment

i know with the OHV motors, there is 2 coolant temp sensors on obd1/1.5 and on obd2, there is only one 3-wire sensor.... EGR could be different as well.
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

okay thanks, and since i already have this thread going i have anothe quick question this one may sound stupid but i have heard that the 4t60e can only take about 225 hp would an cai and exhuast give the engine enough power to cause the trans to die early?

Comment

torque kills trannies, not horsepower... and usually lots of torque in the lower RPM ranges(and vehicle speed) at that, something the LQ1 doesn't have...(talk to the blown 3.8 guys and they'll tell you the same thing, they break 60 and 65-e trannies all day long)

your 94 actually has torque management built into it to prevent all of this anyway.

so go for it, people do it all the time and i seriously doubt a CAI and full exhaust would hurt it even the slightest bit.
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

i didnt think it would but i just wanted to double check

thanks alot

Comment

as long as you don't start talking about swapping in a 3.8 liter boat anchor, i'm sure anyone in the community would be happy to help...
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

i dont care for the 3.8. i love the dohc to much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake91 View Post
                            okay thanks, and since i already have this thread going i have anothe quick question this one may sound stupid but i have heard that the 4t60e can only take about 225 hp would an cai and exhuast give the engine enough power to cause the trans to die early?
                            LOL in that case im doomed! 289hp and 270tq to the wheels... Thats aprox. 340hp to the crank... over 3 years of abuse and she is holding together..

Trans cooler is a big key of tranny life.. go big. I have a large B&M cooler on mine. heat kills the clutch packs and TQ kills the parts in the tranny (twisting them up like over torqueing a bolt till it breaks). nothing wrong with a 4T60. seen them die from neglect more then too much power, infact i havent seen one die from to much power.
                            Shane "RedZMonte"
                            2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                            1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                            -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                            2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                            1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                            1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                            1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                            1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

^you know, now that i think about it, i have never seen one break from power either.....

it was always either some dumbass burning the tires at every light or someone falling WAY behind on the trans fluid....
                              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                              X