No announcement yet.

quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i was just looking at pics of 96+ engines and i noticed that mine still has the old style intake with the throttle body attached. why would he have done that?

Comment

most likely reason, EGR. up to 95, digital EGR was used, after that, it was the linear setup.

was exactly happened to the old motor?
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

the cams were like pushed out of the motor or something causing the timing belt to rub and break, and that wasnt repairable. i believe the shop that changed the belt 500 miles before i bought it messed it up

Comment

i'm assuming the LQ1 has a 2piece intake like every other 60* motor, but the mechanic may have just swapped the top manifold(assuming the same bolt/port pattern).
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

that wuld make sence also i have read that the 96+ intake manifold wont cleat the strut tower brace so that might have been a factor also

Comment

You can't swap just the UIM. The ports are straight across on the 96/7 engines where as they are staggered on the 91/5 engines. If he swapped to the old style UIM, he swapped the LIM too. Maybe another reason is the new engine didn't come with an intake on it.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

yeah, sounds like he swaped to the old style intake manifolds from the old motor. to a mechanic that is the easiest way to make everything work properly, but you still have the new style heads, cams, and bottom end...
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                X