Any way to put a temp guage on the motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to put a temp guage on the motor

As the subj says. I have a guage inside the car, but its not moving off 100'. So I want to put a guage on the motor.

96 DOHC motor. Running a 91 "9396" ECM in an 88 Fiero.

I may have messed up the wiring, if so, its the only wire I messed up, but I know the motor is getting hotter than 100', so I must have a prob. Not sure if a new sensor would fix it, I may try that next, but I guess im asking if a guage attached to the motor would be more accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
    88 T-top Fiero, LS376 w/ F40 (6 speed)

being a 96 motor, it should only have 1 temp sensor, with 3 wires coming out of it. 2 go to the ECU, while the third goes to the dash. sounds familiar?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

1 should go to the dash, 1 should go to the ECM and 1 should be a ground ref.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, there are two sensors. One is a coolant temp guage sensor, the other is a coolant temp sensor. One is a two wire (black/tan) that goes to the ECM, the other is a single wire (green) that goes to the gauge via the C100 connector.

That was not the question. But I got an answer when I went to advance auto and noticed that they had temp guages and I see that they screw into the motor at the stock sensor location.

Thanks again.

Rob

Comment

wait.... you have 2 different sensors/senders? you're sure the motor is a 96? it should have it all in 1, unlike the 95-earlier motors that have the setup you described...
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Yes its an 96 motor, and yes I have the two sensor set up. I also have the GM Tech Manual and its all in there. Not sure about the setup your talking about, I don't know much about the other motors, just this one. Its all stock, so I know it has not been messed with. I pulled the motor myself and no one has modified it. I noticed that the 91 motor/ecm has the same setup because I am using a 91 ECM/Harness.

Thanks again for the help

Rob

Comment

It all depends if he wants to go with a mechanical temp gauge or an electrical temp gauge. I would go with a mechanical temp gauge cause it gives you less the hassle than an electronic (ie wiring, tracing, etc). I would say if the gauge on your dash is stuck, take the coolant temp gauge sender out and replace it with a mechanical coolant sensor and it should take under an hour or so of wiring the lights of the gauge and replace the sender with a mechanical, run the sensor copper wire, and mounting it.
              Last edited by Ghettoracer; 09-10-2009, 10:55 PM.
              sigpic1993 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.4L DOHC 24 Valve V6 MFPI, 5 speed, completely stock, bucket on a budget!

Comment

Working...
              X