Aluminum cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum cleaner

Does anybody have any good recommendations for Aluminum cleaner?? I want to clean my water pump and a few other engine parts. Engine degreaser doesn't sound like it will restore the aluminum. Something that will take off oxidation and wont eat rubber paint or plastic would be ideal.

Mike
    Attached Files
    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

I have great luck with a product called Formula88. It will make pistons/rods look brand new, and will take the carbon off the inside of heads/manifolds with a soak overnight at 100% strength - and best of all it's biodegradable and non-volatile/flammable.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

I've had good luck with brake clean and #0000 super fine steel wool. It's so fine, you can use it to bring gasket mounting surfaces (like intakes) back to their factory condition without a single scratch from it (not even joking there).
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

if you want a mirror like chrome finish, get a hard buffing wheel that looks like a cloth grinding disc and use a hard wax in bar form and buff the shit out of it while its in a vice or something.

(i used to work for a metal polishing place) this will make it look like chrome. till it gets oxidized again

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

easy off oven cleaner works ok, i just cleaned up a TGP top end with a whole can.. lol
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep an eye out for the formula88 and maybe use steel wool with it. I'd like to polish it but don't want to pull the pump to do this; not just yet anyway. I'll let you know when I complete the job.
            1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

dont pull it to polish it. buy a new one to put in and polish that one. and the lower rad hose housing too. that little three nippled thing there with all the coolant lines comming from it could use some shine too if you ask me. your valve covers look pretty badass though if you ask me

Comment

Before...

After (overnight soak)...

Cleans valves good too!

Links:
                WOT-Tech.com
                FaceBook
                Instagram

Comment

impressive!!

Comment

Also... Piston-Kleen

Glycerin and propylene glycol antifreeze and heat transfer fluids, remove rust, remove carbon, clean and disinfect and control odors all with green chemicals for safer environment, workplace and home.

...or more local to you available from AutoZone... Purple Power

The leader in industrial and household cleaners and degreasers.

Caveat Emptor...

If you have anything ferrous bolted on the aluminum parts...beware of dissimilar metal corrosion or even re-depositing old crap on almost clean parts via chemical electrolysis. I ruined a very decent set of 3.4L pistons by leaving them soak longer than a few hours at a pop... the con-rods fused to the pistons as a result of my being a lazy dumbass...

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post

If you have anything ferrous bolted on the aluminum parts...beware of dissimilar metal corrosion or even re-depositing old crap on almost clean parts via chemical electrolysis. I ruined a very decent set of 3.4L pistons by leaving them soak longer than a few hours at a pop... the con-rods fused to the pistons as a result of my being a lazy dumbass...
                      I think I remember telling you to be careful

Formula88 works great on pistons as well with no adverse effects...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Yes.....

...and I have not fully covered from it yet ...LOL

Comment

Too bad Ben and I scoured Warsaw and Elkhart for Formula 88 and came up with nothing...

Here is an LIM off of a Hyundai Sonota that I was doing head gaskets on that I used that steel wool on (which weren't really that dirty :/)

Before:

After a short, quick scrub:

$3 bag of wool:

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to bring a couple gallons for you guys at the meet, but ended up forgetting
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

I was more then appreciative for what I got to begin with. Stickers I was hoping for, but then next thing I know, you're tossing me a t-shirt, lol. I wore it to a recent picnic
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X