DOHC spark plug recomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOHC spark plug recomendations

Before I read in the forums that Boschs were bad, I bought a set, and had GM install them w/ new wires. I currently have Bosch +4's in car with about 100 miles on them if that. They are much better than the AC's that were in the car, but I have read that platinums aren't good with this car. AC's make them, so should I avoid those too? Some have said to use Iridiums, and that AC makes them for this car, but their website does not list them for my 91 yet. I would like to get a good plug that will last a long time with no fouling or poor cold engine performance (boschs appear to possibly have this problem) I would rather not have to replace the cheapo AC's every 30K but I will if I have to if its the best for this engine.
    1992 Grand Prix SE 3.1l 155k SOLD
    1992 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 55K
    1991 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 5 speed 99K SOLD
    1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 5 speed Turbo 36K Sold
    2011 Mazda 3s 5dr 6 speed
    2008 Grand Prix GXP 5.3l 24K sold

Just have the parts store look up Iridiums for a newer 660. Spark plug hole size/threads/depth is all the same on the 660 family.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I disagree. Think the best plug I came w/ the DOHC engines is the Torque master plug.
      If you can fab up some custom spark plug wires from MSD (w/ a low ohm rating), and wiring in A MSD DIS-2 spark box in there, then get the S-plugs from torquemaster. Watch youre throttle response go crazy.

Comment

whatever you decide to go with i would stick to either NGK or AC Delco plugs... even the newer OE plugs from GM are NGK's. something to be said if GM is using them stock.

S
        Shane "RedZMonte"
        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Yo, red monte,
          I highly disagree. I've tried them all. Their was a new and improved GM plug (can't remember the name), Ive tried regapping the Splitfire plugs, NOTHING amps up that throttle response in a DOHC engine like that Torquemaster Splug. That's assuming the
          ignition can jump the extra plug gapp on those plugs. I Don't know what the stock plug
          gapp on those DOHC 3.4 engines are.

Comment

according to alldata a 97 LQ1 uses 41-919 gapped at .045
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

i have a 95 mc z34 with 3.4dohc has 111,000 on it i run rapidfire plugs no problem

Comment

I've been running Bosch platinum + 4 for three years with no problems... A few IC module issues and a dead CP sensor but plugs are fine.
                1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Reply 2 Robertstar

Sirs,
                  The splitfire S plug is equivalent to a .060s plug gapp. That's why a spark box needs to be run with it. Someone said that their using a platnum plug
                  in their Dohc v6. I had a problem w/platinum plugs in a DOHC quad 4. Be careful, I ended burning a hole in my header because I wasn't burning all of
                  the air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber. All of those problems went away with the S plugs. They say their plugs w/last the life of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyz34 View Post
                    i have a 95 mc z34 with 3.4dohc has 111,000 on it i run rapidfire plugs no problem
                    I've run the #8's for years without a problem as well. I was told that they weren't in the right heat range though, and they tend to leak compression where the ceramic meets the metal so I was considering switching to NGK this year after having good results with them in customer cars.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by GTP091 View Post
                      I've been running Bosch platinum + 4 for three years with no problems... A few IC module issues and a dead CP sensor but plugs are fine.
                      Our waste spark system tends to trash Bosch plugs in a short amount of time because of the way it works. I bet you would be surprised if you put a different set of plugs in it.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Yup. Plus they are not usually the correct heat range for the car.

I replaced my friend spark plugs in his Jeep cause it was running bad, guess which ones they were? And guess what happened to 2 of the plugs? Ceramic shattered off... Hope his engine spit them out without chewing on them or getting caught in a valve... I wonder if they were the wrong heat range and messed up because of that? Usually though I think they are too cold...

But yes you need double platinum plugs with waste spark DIS.
                        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

plugs

Originally posted by Cidacious View Post
                          Before I read in the forums that Boschs were bad, I bought a set, and had GM install them w/ new wires. I currently have Bosch +4's in car with about 100 miles on them if that. They are much better than the AC's that were in the car, but I have read that platinums aren't good with this car. AC's make them, so should I avoid those too? Some have said to use Iridiums, and that AC makes them for this car, but their website does not list them for my 91 yet. I would like to get a good plug that will last a long time with no fouling or poor cold engine performance (boschs appear to possibly have this problem) I would rather not have to replace the cheapo AC's every 30K but I will if I have to if its the best for this engine.
                          i can only speak for myself, i had 2 z34's i just bought another one 2 months ago, and just picked up a 95 gp gtp. i have always used the bosch +4 plats. i never had a problem with them at all, i had cheap AC DELCOS at one point, i find the car wont idle as good as the plats. also along with good coil packs by MSD with taylor's 8.4 mm wire. this is what i have, you might wanna try this set up, it's all prefference bud,
                          Last edited by z34gtp383; 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
                          In a quiet town full of chevy's, you can hear a FORD rust.

Comment

so what plugs do you guys use?
                            Last edited by z34gtp383; 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling error
                            In a quiet town full of chevy's, you can hear a FORD rust.

Comment

Originally posted by z34gtp383 View Post
                              so what plugs do you guys use?
                              read the previous posts to find out. (the two pages before your comment)

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Working...
                              X