engine noise rebuilt 3.4 dohc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine noise rebuilt 3.4 dohc

hi guy's i just finished installing my rebuilt 3.4 dohc, in my 95 gtp, runs great lotsa power, but there is a clacking noise when you start to roll off as you go faster its gets louder, once you pick up speed it goes away, and on idle, its not there. could this be the lifters? i only have 120 kms on this engine so i cant run synthetic oil just yet, there is castrol 10 w 30.

thanks.
    In a quiet town full of chevy's, you can hear a FORD rust.

use 5 30, and i would pick synthetic when you get the chance. but 10 30 is too thick

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

does it go away after a few min of driving? is it high pitched or low pitched? can you hear where its coming from when you open the hood? 10w30 should be fine..

S
      Shane "RedZMonte"
      2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
      1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
      -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
      2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
      1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
      1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
      1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
      1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

10 30 makes my engine loud, thats all i know... when i started runnin 5 it ticks a little when you start it, but after a couple mins of warming up (more if its wintery cold out) the ticking goes away and all you hear is the fuel injectors if you pop the hood.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

never mind guys, bad news, this is a rebuilt motor and sad to say number 6 piston collapsed due to an airlock, this is my fault, not the builder, i thought i bled the system out 100% all the coolant looked good with normal flow, it was good for a few hours of running and when under load you can hear piston slap, so out it has to come again,hopefully i can get away with just a new piston and no reboring. will see.
          In a quiet town full of chevy's, you can hear a FORD rust.

Comment

The piston collapsed because of an air lock?

Huh?
            ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

When you have an air lock you end up warping or cracking the head. Nothing to do with the piston.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Working...
              X