antifreeze leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antifreeze leak

I have a 93 z34 and it is losing coolant from a hose underneath the engine I believe the hose comes from the heat exchange(I think thats what it is called)anyway it runs down under the engine and back up in to the motor in front of the oil pan behind some kind of cross member this hose has a big bubble on the side of it and it only leaks when the car gets to operating temp. What is this hose called, where does it go and how do I replace it? Bye the way there is two of them side by side one is easy to change the other is not Im trying to find out how to fix the harder one. Thanks for any help.
    =Joel=

Originally posted by jdellinger1980 View Post
    I have a 93 z34 and it is losing coolant from a hose underneath the engine I believe the hose comes from the heat exchange(I think thats what it is called)anyway it runs down under the engine and back up in to the motor in front of the oil pan behind some kind of cross member this hose has a big bubble on the side of it and it only leaks when the car gets to operating temp. What is this hose called, where does it go and how do I replace it? Bye the way there is two of them side by side one is easy to change the other is not Im trying to find out how to fix the harder one. Thanks for any help.
    The return line on your car should run out of the firewall and then go all the way to the passenger side and work its way down by the axle come back up and connect on the side of the engine by the water pump. I am not sure if you can buy this hose still from the dealer, but I don't believe you can even buy it in the parts store. Best chance you have to fix this is cut the bad part of the pipe out and replace it with a rubber hose you can find at your local parts store. Make sure to double clamp each side so it doesn't leak anymore.

Here is a pic of mine. You don't need the fittings I have on mine because I converted my car to OBDII and the PCM Case was casing my coolant hose to shut since there was no room and this was my only other option. You should be able to use the stock fitting that is already there on your engine.

Comment

Thats a good idea about that hose only thing is yours must not be a lumina z34 or if it is than it must be a different year where is your overflow tank for your coolant. The hose your talking about is not the same one Im talking about in the pic that you sent me there is a part below that hose that you showed that has a hose coming off of it going under the middle of the engine and goes over the top of a crossmember and goes up into the engine beside the oil pan and I dont know where it goes or how to replace it because it is leaking really bad now and the funny thing is it pours coolant when the car is cold and then when it warms up it stops and when the car gets hot it pours again, strange huh. I think I know why though. Thanks for the pic what kind of car do you have?
      =Joel=

Comment

Thats a good idea about that hose only thing is yours must not be a lumina z34 or if it is than it must be a different year where is your overflow tank for your coolant. The hose your talking about is not the same one Im talking about in the pic that you sent me there is a part below that hose that you showed that has a hose coming off of it going under the middle of the engine and goes over the top of a crossmember and goes up into the engine beside the oil pan and I dont know where it goes or how to replace it because it is leaking really bad now and the funny thing is it pours coolant when the car is cold and then when it warms up it stops and when the car gets hot it pours again, strange huh. I think I know why though. Thanks for the pic what kind of car do you have?
        I relocated the overflow tank. It was in my way at the time. That I know of all 91 - 95 should have the same setup. The return line goes from the firewall to the passenger side and works it way down by the sub frame and comes back up to where I have mine going. Other than that there is a rubber hose from the radiator to the water pump housing. You shouldn't have any other coolant hoses on that side of the car. Oh, and another hose going to the over flow tank. Thats it.

Comment

Are you sure there isnt a hose running to the transmission or something because I got a hose under my car right in the middle leaking coolant and if it is not coolant coming from there then I dont know where it is coming from because I have searched the whole cooling system as good as I can. Anyway the hose under the car is still bad no matter what it is and I need to find out what it is for so I know where to go from there. If I can get a day when its not so damn cold outside Ill put it on the ramps and take a pic of it to show you what im talking about. Thanks for the info Im just starting to get frustrated with this car and it is really hard to fix these problems when your unemployed, thats why im trying to fix it myself.
          =Joel=

Comment

Probably your power steering cooler line.
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Are you sure there isnt a hose running to the transmission or something because I got a hose under my car right in the middle leaking coolant and if it is not coolant coming from there then I dont know where it is coming from because I have searched the whole cooling system as good as I can. Anyway the hose under the car is still bad no matter what it is and I need to find out what it is for so I know where to go from there. If I can get a day when its not so damn cold outside Ill put it on the ramps and take a pic of it to show you what im talking about. Thanks for the info Im just starting to get frustrated with this car and it is really hard to fix these problems when your unemployed, thats why im trying to fix it myself.
              Yea, understand. There is no coolant line running to the transmission. Transmission only has tranny fluid running to it. Which is a redish color. Power steering fluid is a clear color or may have a brownish tint to it. Which it probably is the power steering line which is a pain to fix! On the DOHC there is no room to work with to change those lines. I have done it, but very pain in the but to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bve32k View Post
                I relocated the overflow tank. It was in my way at the time. That I know of all 91 - 95 should have the same setup. The return line goes from the firewall to the passenger side and works it way down by the sub frame and comes back up to where I have mine going. Other than that there is a rubber hose from the radiator to the water pump housing. You shouldn't have any other coolant hoses on that side of the car. Oh, and another hose going to the over flow tank. Thats it.
                Are you sure there isnt a hose running to the trans or somethingcause I got a hose that I know is bad and needs to be replaced whether it is a coolant hose or not and I also still have a coolant leak coming from the left front corner and the left rear corner and I have searched every hose that I can find and still cant find any leak I just get a puddle under the car when it sits still, thanks for any info im just starting to get frustrated with this car and its really hard to fix these problems when your unemployed. Oh yeah where did you move your overflow tank too and do you have a pic of it, that would be really nice to do.
                =Joel=

Comment

sorry thoght it erased the first one so i rewrote it
                  =Joel=

Comment

Are you sure there isnt a hose running to the trans or somethingcause I got a hose that I know is bad and needs to be replaced whether it is a coolant hose or not and I also still have a coolant leak coming from the left front corner and the left rear corner and I have searched every hose that I can find and still cant find any leak I just get a puddle under the car when it sits still, thanks for any info im just starting to get frustrated with this car and its really hard to fix these problems when your unemployed. Oh yeah where did you move your overflow tank too and do you have a pic of it, that would be really nice to do.
                    Yea..I am 100% sure there is not a hose running to the trans. Only lines running to the trans are metal and they are going straight to the radiator or if your car came stock with a secondary tranny cooler. The other line that runs on the very bottom along the sub frame is the power steering line. It runs from the back of the engine to the front of the car along the sub frame and back to the back of the car. Is it coolant on the ground for sure? Coolant is more watery and power steering fluid is more oily. Only coolant line that can be leaking back there is the return hose from the heater core. Other than that if there are no leaks, you may have a crack some in your head or block where the coolant is leaking out. Which is not going to be a cheap fix!

Comment

Originally posted by bve32k View Post
                      Yea, understand. There is no coolant line running to the transmission. Transmission only has tranny fluid running to it. Which is a redish color. Power steering fluid is a clear color or may have a brownish tint to it. Which it probably is the power steering line which is a pain to fix! On the DOHC there is no room to work with to change those lines. I have done it, but very pain in the but to do.
                      Ill bet that is which one it is. Do you happen to know what size that line is and how do I do this because I cant even see the end of this hose. The hose that im talkin bout is 3/4 or a little bigger that seems awfully big for a power steering hose but whatever is coming out is clear. If its not to much could you tell me the process of how to do this or is it in the haynes manual?
                      =Joel=

Comment

If you have a mysterious coolant leak and you are sure it is coolant, it could be a freeze plug or head gasket leaking externally. Only a matter of time before the problems really hit the ceiling and strand you on the side of the cold salty, wintry roads.
                        If you over look it, and it's power steering fluid, the fluid could empty and the rack cold seize up in position and that might leave you while making a turn or cannot make a turn and causing an accident. If it's transmission fluid, you will slowly cook the trans and once again, leaving you walking uphill in the slushy, salty, crude wintry months somewhere in the wrongest place at the wrongest times (High crime rate area or something) .

I'd advise you to attention the potential high risk problem(s) before you really get into a deeper debt.
                        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Can you point out in one of these pics where the coolant line is going into?

Comment

The hose Im talking about is not on these pics it must have been taken off when the motor was taken out or something because my hose runs down beside the oil filter. Im going to try to put these pics up here they are kinda hard to tell which one it is nevermind I dont know how to put them on here if you just go to my album youll see them
                            =Joel=

Comment

The 93s had an oil-cooler and the pics that were posted don't,,, different year??? Anyway, I think you are talking about the line that runs to the oil filter. Forget where the other end goes. I replaced mine when I had the motor out. Shouldn't be too hard to trace where it goes to. I'll go out and see if I can get some kind of picture, no promises tho... It's pretty muddy right now, temp went way up, it's almost 40!!
                              I'll try to post pics,,,,
                              Tom...

Comment

Working...
                              X