92 grand prix key stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 grand prix key stuck

So, the gf's car has been having problems with neutral safety switch- so I thought. Every once in a while, it wouldn't roll over without putting it into neutral to park a couple times. Now, it won't roll over and the key is stuck in the ignition. I can hear the ignition lock trying to cycle by pushing on and releasing the shifter button. Any ideas? Would the ignition lock keep the car from starting and releasing the key? How bad are they to replace on these cars?
    The car is a 92 grand prix with the 3.4 dohc with an automatic and console shifter.
    Thanks
    88 Beretta GT
    69 Corvette
    79 Mustang Ghia
    95 Cutlass Convertible

alright, so I got the key to wiggle out later yesterday. And today I cleaned the connector on the trans for the neutral safety switch (it was pretty corroded). Now, it will roll over no problem but it's not firing. Is whatever that's keeping the key in the ignition a possibility for being a culprit behind the motor not firing?
    88 Beretta GT
    69 Corvette
    79 Mustang Ghia
    95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

What's keeping the key from wanting to be released? I also noticed that the shifter release doesn't like to spring back very well- allowing you to select a gear without pushing in on the button.
      88 Beretta GT
      69 Corvette
      79 Mustang Ghia
      95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

Replace the cylinder and lubricate the shift release mechanism. Not to difficult to take the cylinder out you need to disassemble the steering column shroud to get it out.

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Thanks, What would be best to lubricate the shifter mechanism? I used some white lithium grease and it still isn't coming all the way up too quick.
          88 Beretta GT
          69 Corvette
          79 Mustang Ghia
          95 Cutlass Convertible

Comment

The old grease should be cleaned off first as it's probably gotten gummy and sticky. Same as what happens on the park brake lock... Anything that removes grease should work. Just make sure it's safe to use around plastic and doesnt stink to bad. Lithium grease works good for that sort of thing. Contrary to what lazy old guys think WD-40 isn`t a universal problem solver.
            1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

If your looking for a cheap place to get it replaced you can call these guys and see if they have the part you need http://www.tricityusedcars.com/336223.html if it isnt there they might have an aftermarket. They just recently did some work on my car and it was alot cheaper then any place I went before I found them. good luck

Comment

Working...
              X