snow tires and steel rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow tires and steel rims

Hi all i am looking for a set of steel rims with snow tires mounted,what years and other vehicles should i look out for.My tire size is 225 70 r 16.Thanks all

wrong section?

and by 225/70, i'm guessing you're talking about a W?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

225 60 r16 for all my Ws...

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

the car in question is my 95 lumina

Comment

i didn't think a 70 ratio 16" tire was stock...

but pull steelies from any 1st or 1.5 gen W and you'll be good. not sure about the gen 2.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

my 91 has 225 60 r16s on it, got a pair of snow tires (two tires) for $110! lol mounted and balanced. im not a fan of steel wheels though, but hey, to each his own. some people tell me ill spin out on ice with only front winter tires, ive tried and i corner slow. so, ive been saved so far. lol and i mean I HAVE TRIED AND TRIED to spin out i can make it spin out, but it take some lefty righty action.

Comment

i've only ever driven vehicles with all season tires with one exception, that being an Elky with 12" wide street/strip meats...

i can get the MC loose, but it takes a lot of either me doing it on purpose or driving like an asshole/driving on the same road as assholes.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Thanks for the rreplies guys,the size i quoted is wrong they are 225 60r16.Robert what 1st or 1.5 gen W cars u mean ie monte,grand prix cutlass ect.

Comment

I've got 225/60 16s on my 91 as well.

On my truck, I have a full set of Winterforce winter tires (made by BF Goodrich I believe). All I can say about the difference between all seasons and those in the snow is:

I even parked the truck in the yard one day (with about 9 inches of snow on the ground) because we needed driveway space for visitors. Now mind you it's only a 2wd truck. It took me a few minutes, but I got out just fine. Had I been on all seasons, no way Jose...
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

1st Gen W:
                    1988-1997 Cutlass Supreme
                    1988-1996 Pontiac Grand Prix
                    1988-1996 Buick Regal
                    1990-1994 Chevrolet Lumina

1.5 Gen W:
                    1995-1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1995-2001 Chevrolet Lumina
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I run 185/75/14 in winter. Works like a dream even with all-seasons.

205's, forget it. Put the car in drive with FRESH all seasons on a flat road and took my foot off the brake. Yup, left wheel turning with the engine idling. (1650 stall). That winter I had to get a running start pulling out of parking lots with short lips/etc or it would just spin. Then I would be all over the main road. We have TONS huge of hills here, I had to take alternate routes as I would slow down then start going backwards... Now I run 225's so forget it.

But the 185 width on 14" steel wheels work great. I can go up the steepest hill even with worn tread and if I make it spin, it keeps pulling up.

Narrow tires in snow FTW! Yes 185 is too narrow than what the car needs (I think the V6 L bodies got 195) but it works so I stick with it. Even on dry pavement with the help of my suspension they do all right in the corners. I can keep up with traffic and then some which is amazing.
                      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

205s on a lighter car, like a L, is gonna be hell.

on a W, it works pretty damn well...
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

My car is over 3000lbs, but probably not more than 3100. 205's on a 7" wide rim came stock on GTU, Indy, GTZ, Z26, & W26 models. Not sure what size tire the 15" GT wheels used.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

im sure my car has got to be like 3300 with the stereo, 3400 with the ice build up. lol (and a full tank of gas?) but i have yet to get stuck with my 225s, i agree though a little narrow-er tire to bite into the snow a little helps out. works better on ice too. but i just like the look of the 225s.

Comment

the bigger 4 door cars have these on them too, and iirc so does a crown vic/grand marquis/town car. the bigger 4 door gm cars like the LeSabre and Delta 88 (newer ones, like after 95 or something though) have this size. older ones are on 15s though.

now, for something fun, i hear Mustang wheels will fit on with no spacers if theyre from the early to mid 2000 era. but they ride on a lower profile tire... i think its like a 225 45 16...? i dont know though more torque and lowered too! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X