1992 injectors vs. '96-'97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 injectors vs. '96-'97

Before my 1992 DOHC - Fiero swap was done I came across a NOS '96 fuel rail with injectors on eBay. I bought it and used the injectors on the motor. I can not get the engine to start (first start). I fires right up with ether, but acts like it's not getting fuel in the cylinders.

The plugs are firing.
    The fuel rail has 42psi while cranking.
    A scan shows the injector pulse at 31.8ms.

Will the 1992 ECM (9697) operate these injectors?

Also, should I be able to hear the injectors clicking with my head over the engine while cranking?

I really would appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Neil
    Last edited by sspeedstreet; 02-01-2010, 12:15 AM.

I would try pulling the rail off the car and put it in a pan while cranking to see if they are opening up.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by sspeedstreet View Post
      A scan shows the injector pulse at 61.8ms.
      i'm not entirely sure on the cranking fuel requirements of the LQ1, but that seems like too much. i think the LH0 cranks at like 15ms...
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
        i'm not entirely sure on the cranking fuel requirements of the LQ1, but that seems like too much. i think the LH0 cranks at like 15ms...
        That was a typo. But still, it was 31.8ms, way above the 1-4ms the manual shows. 1-4ms is at operating temp and idling. I don't know what a value should be for cold cranking (61.0F).

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
          I would try pulling the rail off the car and put it in a pan while cranking to see if they are opening up.
          I resisted doing this until I had nowhere else to look.

Five dribbling injectors and one stuck open.
          Last edited by sspeedstreet; 02-03-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sspeedstreet View Post
            Seven dribbling injectors and one stuck open.
            I think your problem is that you have 8 injectors on a V6...
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
              I think your problem is that you have 8 injectors on a V6...
              2 for boost?

As a side note, you might want to give your oil the sniff test. That stuck open injector could have just trashed your oil.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

As a side note, you might want to give your oil the sniff test. That stuck open injector could have just trashed your oil.
                Yeah, it's draining right now.

The 6 injectors are at a local place getting cleaned and checked out. He was seriously skeptical old gas was the problem and only one had a little junk in the screen. I guess they weren't as "new" as advertised.

Neil

Comment

OK, now the plot thickens. I picked up the injectors from servicing this morning. The computer print-out says they're fine, like new. As we talked about it he mentioned something he found odd; he said he typically runs the flow test at 30psi, but these wouldn't operate at 30. He dialed the pressure down to 20psi and they worked fine! Now, as the rail is at 40 - 45psi, this doesn't sound right to me.

Anyone have some insight on this?

Thanks

Comment

Maybe what he uses to fire injectors wasn't giving them enough juice to force them open against the rail pressure.

See this posted:

in this thread:

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Maybe what he uses to fire injectors wasn't giving them enough juice to force them open against the rail pressure.
                      Well, he's using a professional rig and it's what he does all day, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

Comment

those injectors shouldn't hydraulically lock at anything less than 43.5PSI, since that's what they run at from the factory.
                        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                        Latest nAst1 files here!
                        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I agree. A friend said he cleaned his injectors with a piece of fuel line attached, squirted some injector cleaner in the hose, hooked up 12V and used compressed air to blow it through. He suggested doing the same thing with the compressor set at 40psi and see if the tech is right.

Comment

It runs! The injectors seemed to be working so I bolted the rail down to the LIM and hit the starter. Ever see the movie "Grand Prix" with James Garner? That's what it sounded like without the UIM bolted on.

So after all this crap, the problem ended up being the set of ten year old never run injectors.

Just glad it finally ran.

Comment

Working...
                            X