Crank sesnor, easiest way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank sesnor, easiest way?

What is the easiest way to get to the crank sensor? My car right now is having intermittent spark and the only thing I can think of is the crank sensor.

So what is the easiest way to get at this damn sensor? I replaced it before, but the that was when I had the heads off the car. It was much easier.

Edit: Anyone know the normal resistance on the sensor?
    Last edited by bve32k; 02-08-2010, 08:38 AM.

Not sure on resistance, but take off the passenger side tire and go through the wheel well if you have an auto. Go from under the car if you have a 5 speed.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

as far as I can figure if you have an automatic, alternator removal is necessary to get at it, it was the only way I could do my old euro 3.4s crank sensor.
      -Chris

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 3.4L TDC Getrag 284
      1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix 3.1L v6 Hydramatic 4T60
      1997 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 3.8L v6, Hydramatic 4T60E
      1987 Chevrolet Camaro 5.0L v8, Hydramatic 700R4

Comment

I have never had to remove alt to replace sensor.
        As of April 2
        3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
        ----------------------------
        Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
        Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
        Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
        Injectors: #36 GTPs
        TB: 65mm TCE
        Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
        Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
        Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
        Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

I don't think I would be able to get to the sensor without removing the alt. There is just no room to get at anything. I was going to try from bottom, but I have a feeling I will not be able to get to it from there. It was an option to from top, but that is sounding pretty risky too since the exhuast manifold is in the way.

Anyone have any other 2 cents. Anything is appreciated.

Comment

You cannot go by the resistance reading for that sensor. It will show good readings when cold/warm and still not permit signal. When its hot it may or may not show bad readings and still permit a good or bad signal. That is why I didn't tell you or ask you to check for any readings from that sensor. That is also why I told you to check for those small hairline cracks.

Just drive the car for now, it's not like you will be doing any long hauls anytime soon. AAA FTW use it!
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

If you removed your exhaust system you might be able to get to it from under the car, otherwise the down pipe is a key blockage there.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                If you removed your exhaust system you might be able to get to it from under the car, otherwise the down pipe is a key blockage there.
                I ended up getting it out from the passenger side wheel well and it was a pain in the but. Had to take the alt out and then I could get to the sensor. I tried from underneath and I tried from up top with the UIM off. I could touch it, but that was about it. Couldn't do anything else with it.

Comment

I've gotten the crank sensor out from under the car using a ratcheting wrench with another wrench black taped to it for extra length. Did it in 10 minutes. You just need a good trouble light and have a set of very long alligator scissors that lock at the handle to put it back in and put the harness back on.
                  1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Originally posted by GTP091 View Post
                    I've gotten the crank sensor out from under the car using a ratcheting wrench with another wrench black taped to it for extra length. Did it in 10 minutes. You just need a good trouble light and have a set of very long alligator scissors that lock at the handle to put it back in and put the harness back on.
                    There is no way! I don't know how you guys are doing it with everything on. I almost couldn't get it off by having the alt off. There is just no room. I could get the ratchet on, but that was about it. Could not turn it or do anything with it.

Maybe the 94 - 96 motors are different than the 91's. I don't know.

Comment

For reference, MOD says 1.2 hours to replace the sensor for 91-96 years, the alt alone pays 3.2 hours.

With a hoist it is easier, but you do need to be resourceful no matter which way you do it.
                      As of April 2
                      3rd Gen Cavy has 3500 Installed!
                      ----------------------------
                      Engine: 2006 SV6 3500 LX9
                      Trans: 2002 Getrag F23 5speed
                      Pcm: 2001 Impala La1 3400 with complete Engine Harness.
                      Injectors: #36 GTPs
                      TB: 65mm TCE
                      Maf: 1999 3400 Montana.
                      Adjustable TCE Fuel pressure Regulator
                      Walbro W1 255 pump from Racetronix.
                      Beverages: Ice Cold CANADIAN.

Comment

Originally posted by bve32k View Post
                        There is no way! I don't know how you guys are doing it with everything on. I almost couldn't get it off by having the alt off. There is just no room. I could get the ratchet on, but that was about it. Could not turn it or do anything with it.

I had to fix where my harness had frayed off at the knock sensor on the 91 once. I was doing this over a pit and it was still a HUGE pain in the backside. Looking back (before I knew what I know about cars) back then it didn't even occur to me to pull the alternator to get to it and I still blow my own mind when I think about how I got it done working between the oil pan and auto tranny (way before the 5 speed swap).
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by bve32k View Post

It really wasn't that hard it took more time to find a pair of long locking alligator scissors to get the harness off than it did to get the sensor out. My engine is clean and I had a very bright trouble light so I could see up there. You need to use a ratcheting wrench not a socket wrench. Taping on another wrench gives you the reach to get the box end up there.
                          1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

I've done it twice by removing the UIM. But I've got skinny arms, takes awhile to find the sensor, and its really awkward to get a ratchet down there. But it beats removing the wheel and alt!

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis View Post
                              I've done it twice by removing the UIM. But I've got skinny arms, takes awhile to find the sensor, and its really awkward to get a ratchet down there. But it beats removing the wheel and alt!
                              Yea..I tried..I could get my hand on it, but couldn't do anything else. My hands and arms are to big to do anything in that little spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X