GM 3.6L Piston facts - BONUS PICS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM 3.6L Piston facts - BONUS PICS!!

Ok, so as we have all been aware since somewhere in early 05-06, GM decided to revive the 60* DOHC. It really comes in 2 forms (duh). The 3.6 PFI (port fuel injected) and the 3.6 DI (direct injected). Obviously being such largely different designs, they have quite a few differences.

Intake manifolds are one. Pistons, rods, rings. Actually quite a bit is diff.

I have some interesting info ill share through the course of today and tomorrow. As well as pictures.

First off, the DI piston is completely diff from the PFI piston. The PFI is a flat top with 4 valve reliefs. It appears to be non directional, but it still has a dot on it for reference. They all have the notch for the timing wheel on the crank, the PFI version has it on both sides. The DI piston has a "ricardo" cup in it to take the fuel charge on a quench pad. This cup is machined onto the cast domed and valve relieved face of the piston. It is a different design indeed.

I am running out of time, so i will wrap this up. I have some pictures I will post tomorrow along with technical specs. If there is anything you want to know, please post up.

one pic for teaser

That looks a lot different than the piston I had here. Id love to know the compression ratio when used in a 3500:P
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Comment

Only (so far) the 3.6 DI piston has this coating. I have heard it could be a hard anodized due to using a steel top ring.

Comment

You'd think all those sharp edges in that piston would create hot spots... Got a pic of the DI head combustion chamber?
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I'll take 6 of the regular 3.6 pistons please.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

How will the longer stroke of that piston affect it in an LX9? Is the piston any different in that regards? Flat top and 10.2:1 in the 3.6 with valve reliefs, does look nice for your motor Dave...
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Dumb question, but since this is from the newer 60's. wouldn't the bore be a lot larger then the LX9?
                sigpic

Comment

wikipedia:

bore of 3.70 in (94.0 mm) and a stroke of 3.37 in (85.6 mm).

3500 has the same bore.
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

That's good to know, I thought this engine would share the same bore and crank center line as the 3500/3900VVT. Guess that is what I get for assuming. (However I just made an ass out of I, anyone want to be the U?)
                    sigpic

Comment

shouldnt this be in the pushrod section as your measuring it up for a pushrod application? haha

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

He isn't measuring this for pushrod use, but it works for pushrod use with different rods.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i thought he was... my bad

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

what are these out of?
                            1996 Acura Integra GSR 4dr | 1970 Chevy Blazer 4x4 | 1970 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban | 2002 Olds Alero 3400

Comment

they are out of the newer GM 3.6L engines.

They could be used in the 3500 based on correct CH for the rod length and stroke. Would be very neat. But the valve reliefs are all wrong. Way too small. If you need them of course. Heh. Ill put up alot more specs tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X