Ign Coil packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ign Coil packs

I can not seem to find it now, but is there a way or place I can get the ign coil pack tested. I have an engine that cranks over, I have spark on cylinder one, and when the fuel rail is set on paper towels I get fuel, but does not fire.

You can do a resistance check across the primary and secondary circuits of the ign coil.
    If you have a multimeter,you can get the resistance specs from autozone-simply have them look up your application and on the description it will have the specs.

This is not a be all/end all test for the coil by any means,but will pinpoint a possible issue if it's out of spec.
    Verify you have power to the coil and also you can use a multimeter to check the ground side signal/switch to the PCM to verify that the PCM is triggering the coils.
    The control module is generally the culprit on a no-start ignition issue,if it was a single coil it will generally still start and run,though poorly and with a misfire on (usually) two corresponding cylinder's in relation to the bad coil.

Comment

if you take off the coil packs it would also be a safe bet to take the ign control module in and get it tested also
      as for another thing to check if all that tests out is the crank and cam positioning sensors
      from the decription it doesnt sound like they are bad but can only throw out my 2 cents on here

Comment

Napa will test coils and ignition modules for free.
        1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Working...
        X