Question about 96-97 tappets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 96-97 tappets

I currently have a 96 DOHC in my Fiero, I have had problems with a noisy lifter. My question is I can get a complete top end from a 97 DOHC, are the lifters in the 97 better than the earlier lifter?

Thanks
    Joe Sokol

You could go with the lighter 35mm tappets in Ben's store at WOT. 97 are 33mm and may offer a slight weight savings, but probably not as much as the one at WOT. At least with a 96 you can get any from a 91 all the way to 96. Other than the tappet size, the 97 setup is exactly like what your 96 is.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

So you can put earlier cams in a 97 cam carrier housing and have no issues?
      3.4 DOHC- 95 engine, custom intake manifold, custom cams, ported exhaust manifolds, Turbonetics T-62, Haltech standalone, 13.5 psi, air/h20 intercooler... yadda yadda...
      1987 Fiero, ST lowering springs, KYB's, Clutchnet dual diaphragm 6-puck, custom paint, 18's with falken fk452 225 front Nitto NT05 245 rear. Should be around 450whp...

Comment

The thing you have to watch out with earlier cams is the ones with/without the Cam Position Sensor (if your ECM/PCM uses it). Otherwise, yes.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
        X