obd 1.5 to obd1 or 2 lq1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obd 1.5 to obd1 or 2 lq1

okay i dont know anything about this but i would like to learn. what i want to know what all is involved in switching either way, which is harder, and which is most worth while thanks

i went to OBDII. you can find a used DHP powrtuner for a few hundred bux and can calibrate just about anything you want.... supports '96 and '97 DOHC's.

you will need a 1996 DOHC ECU and engine harness if you have a LQ1 with a 4T60-E... if you have a MT then you can used a '96 or '97 setup... change like 5 wires on the C100 connector and add a OBDII data link port under the dash and boom your OBDII...

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

really thats all? i have a freind with a dhp so im set im definently going obd2 then just a question how long did it take you to do

Comment

DHPs go for about 325 used unless you get lucky. They pop up from time to time. I use HPT, but I do more than just 1 vehicle as well and there will support for the HPT since the company is still in business.

I still think OBD1 is easier to convert to for you but you might want to go OBD2 to retain the MAF since you want to get reground cams and potentially give yourself a rougher idle. MAP is great until you have no vacuum.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

well im just wanting to go -6/6 cam timing stock cams but i might as well go ob2 as i may go turbo in a couple years

but i may not also

really my current plans are

retime
          96 intake
          larger tb
          intake porting

what is involved with a obd1 swap?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake91 View Post
            what is involved with a obd1 swap?
            jake we went over that on dub-body... the connectors are the same between the 91-93 and 94-95 PCMs, but the pinouts are WAY different and you would spend a lot of time swapping wires... it would be easier just to grab a 91-93 engine harness and literally plug everything in and go.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake91 View Post
              really thats all? i have a freind with a dhp so im set im definently going obd2 then just a question how long did it take you to do
              not long... basicly just swaped engine harness after i repinned the few connectors on the C100, plugged it in and started the car. if you get the wiring diagram for the 2 cars you will see the difference on the C100 firewall connector... then once they are swapped you can install it on the car. If you did everything right it will start w/o a problem. I got my DHP for ~$300 shipped IIRC. they are out there and worth getting... the company may be gone but there are still a bunch of people using them and a few of the DHP guys are active and helpfull. they helped me and added the '96 LQ1 info to Tiny tuners so it works .. Not saying anything bad about HPT, ive never used them and for unlimited credits $300 is a good deal .

I did have to add 1 knock sensor and change the other for the new harness but the rest of the sensors just worked (I had to disable the EGR, its not the same as the older ones), and swap my NSS connector from the old harness to the new OR use the new NSS (neutral safty switch, on trans).

Realisticly if you swap the pins over before the install, you should be able to do it all in a few hours 3-4 (with reasonable beer breaks between)... Alt wire was a bitch as was removing the rear knock sensor (stupid squeeze style connectors).

If you search for my OBDII swap threads there is a bunch of info... D.O.H.C. (mark) also did the swap.

S
              Shane "RedZMonte"
              2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
              1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
              -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
              2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
              1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
              1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
              1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
              1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
              X