93 3.4 Cam sensor wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 3.4 Cam sensor wiring

Went and played with my bump and run car for the first time this year. While I was playing with it, I noticed that the cam sensor was unplugged. I searched for quite a while, but couldn't fine the pigtail or wiring. Where does this wiring come from on the motor? Is it in the same loom as what the trans plug is in? Can someone snap me a pic so I know the general area I should be searching in?

A little background on the car. I bought it already built, and I know the guy that built it put the motor in. I ran the vin and it was/is a factory 3.4 car.

if by 3.4, you mean LQ1, then you don't have a cam sensor... they didn't get integrated until 1994.

if you mean the iron head RWD 3.4, that's a different story...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      if by 3.4, you mean LQ1, then you don't have a cam sensor... they didn't get integrated until 1994.

if you mean the iron head RWD 3.4, that's a different story...
      I'll take a picture of it today and post it on the board. It's a 93 3.4 G. Prix, but possible someone dropped a 94 engine in. I did find a cam position sensor on the Napa website and it looks identical for a 93.

Thanks for the help on this task.

Comment

if they did drop in a 94-later LQ1, i wouldn't worry about it. the stock PCM wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I can't find a wire to connect to it anywhere. It looks like a cam sensor to me, but I could be wrong.

Comment

that is definitely the cam sensor.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

That's what I thought. Supposedly the 3.4 is a '92, but from what I can tell the motors are identical from 91-93. My question is why would they put a cam sensor in the motor, but no wiring to connect to. Or is the connection missing?

Comment

like i said, the 91-93 ECM doesn't care for or use the cam sensor.

and i don't know too much about LQ1s, but i believe the valve covers from a 91-93 has the oil fill cap all the way to the right, not between cylinders 2 and 4...
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                  like i said, the 91-93 ECM doesn't care for or use the cam sensor.

and i don't know too much about LQ1s, but i believe the valve covers from a 91-93 has the oil fill cap all the way to the right, not between cylinders 2 and 4...
                  So if the 91-93 ECM doesn't care for or use the cam sensor, that would make sense why there is no pigtail to connect it with.

Next question is, what did this motor come out of. I found some ID numbers on it. Do you know anywhere that I could run the numbers and see what comes up?

Comment

what kind of numbers are you talking about? block or head casting #s?
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Right next to the cam sensor, so head numbers

Comment

according to this:

the 91-95 casting was P/N 10127472

so you might have 96 or 97 heads...

but you have the 91-95 intake... so i'm not sure what to think.
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

According to this, it's the cam housing off a 94/95 lq1.

That would make some sense then I guess. Is there anything I need to know or do to get this thing to run good in a 93 with the 93 ECM and wiring?

Comment

AFAIK, the only differences between the 91-93 and 94-95 LQ1 was the switch from speed-density MPFI to MAF SFI... possibly cam changes, but again, i am no LQ1 expert.

but as long as you have a MAP sensor hooked up and the MAF removed, then it should be operating as the factory intended.
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

From what I can tell, you're right. They left off the MAF sensor, have the MAP sensor hooked up, and the rest is the same. The computer is still a '93, so no harm no foul there. The wiring is '93.

Comment

Working...
                              X