Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub/Wheel bearing?

1993 Z34 Lumina.

About a month ago, I began noticing a bit of a noise coming from (I think) the r front wheel, with a corresponding "vibration" in the steering wheel. This is completely unnoticeable until reaching 60mph or higher and seems to change somewhat (almost disappears sometimes) with curves or slight movement of the steering wheel back and forth.

I have had the tires/wheels rotated/balanced, but there was no change in the symptoms. I also took the opportunity to inspect things when changing the front brakes last week. Nothing obvious was found.

I am thinking hub/wheel bearing..your thoughts?

Thanks.
    Last edited by perfimage; 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM.

I had a similar issue with my '92. At highway speeds, there was a faint hum and almost imperceptible vibration when going straight or turning left. Hold enough pressure on the steering wheel to gradually drift right, and the noise/vibration disappeared.

Local Chevy dealer claimed it was "wheel bearings".

I expected it to get worse, and when I could definately say it was bearings, I'd replace 'em. I never did fix it; and after a couple of years...it went away.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

I wouldnt think a wheel bearing will give vibrations.. but if it hums and when you turn the wheel if it goes away, id also say wheel bearing (front.). IIRC if you turn right and it goes away that is a Drivers side bearing bad and Left if it goes away when you turn left.. Not hard to reaplace... but can be pretty rusty and need some PB Blaster and a impact. Also need a axle nut socket... Don't remember the size... Like 24mm or something. definatly check ball joints and tie rods... while apart.

S
      Shane "RedZMonte"
      2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
      1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
      -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
      2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
      1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
      1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
      1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
      1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
      X