Blower motor for '92 Lumina Z34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower motor for '92 Lumina Z34

Just wondering if anyone has had one go on them and are they simple to change/repair?
    I noticed the fan speed getting weak in it last season, and this year it died a day or two after I took the car out of storage. I used to be able to get it to work by whacking the housing around the outside of it, but now there is not a peep out of it.
    Any suggestions or info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    MACE
    sigpic

I would disconnect the blower motor connector. Then place a 12volt test light across the harness connector terminals. Next, turn the key on and check that the light is lit on all fan speeds. If so, then you would be safe in betting it's a bad blower motor. I say to do this because of the large number of blower speed resistors I have replaced on W-bodies. Many even had melted connectors, the dealer has a repair harness for this . . . . I am not certain if the repair harness is in the aftermarket yet.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

I concur. I had a newer W even with a bad resistor (2000?).
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Swapped the blower motor on a '93 Lumina in my Dad's driveway using common hand tools. Took about half an hour, as I recall. There is "JUST" enough clearance to do the job. I can't remember if I had to drop the glove box door, or the kick panel for clearance. I was too angry to pay attention... I just wanted the job D-O-N-E.

The new blower motor was a horrifically expensive AC-Delco "exact replacement" but it didn't look like the one that came out of the car. The new squirrel cage had fewer louvers, too. The Delco unit may not have looked like the original, but it looked EXACTLY like the cheap-junk Chinese POS aftermarket replacement that the parts store had in stock--except it was made in Canada according to the box it shipped in. Had to order the Delco; but they had it in a few hours.

Guess I got lucky. Never occurred to me to check the blower resistor. I had power at the motor connector, but the motor didn't turn. New motor/fan assembly and everything's good again.
        ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Working...
        X